1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - headteacher not cooperating

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gingerbreadc, Oct 22, 2015.

1. gingerbreadc

gingerbreadc New commenter

Hi Theo,

I am having problems getting back into work. I have signed up with two supply agencies but they won't let me work for them until my headteacher from my previous job has confirmed that I worked for her and why I left etc. The Executive headteacher and headteacher are ignoring all requests for information and won't give them anything. I left on bad terms because I went to my union for advice, as they wouldn't let me start my NQT year even though I had been working there a year. They deliberately sent my paperwork off late to the council so the deadline had already gone. The agencies have both said it doesn't matter if I have a bad reference from her but they need something. Is there anything I can do? The deputy headteacher won't be any use either as she is being bullied by the Executive Head and Headteacher.

Thank you for any advice you can give me

2. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Does the school have an HR manager or business manager, etc? If so, can you contact them to give dates and so forth? It sounds like the agency just wants confirmation rather than a detailed reference, so this may well be sufficient.

3. gingerbreadc

Thanks for your reply. The school does have a business manager so I asked that but they said it had to be the headteacher.

4. rustyfeathers

rustyfeathers Occasional commenter

Are you emailing the head direct, or their secretary? And possibly stress that you literally just need confirmation you worked there and left with no CP issues. Good luck!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!

And the problem is that the Head does not, legally, HAVE to give a reference so you are in a difficult position here. . .

My advice would be to ring the Head's secretary at a time when the Head is possibly not there - during Assembly perhaps? Get him or her on your side, saying that you just want a brief confirmation of the dates and the fact that there were no CP or safeguarding concerns. Say that you understand how very very busy the Head may be, and it would be great if somebody could perhaps just draft something so that the Head just had to sign it. You could e-mail the dates in yourself if that would be a help. Say that that way the Head wouldn't have to deal with finding the dates, just doing the signature, and it would allow you to get off the dole.

Don't actually ask the Secretary to draft it, just sort of hint . . .

Best wishes

6. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

and nor does any company in this country. Now, in Germany not only are references obligatory, but they are open: the employee has a right to see them. Or at least this is what I was told when I lived there. While it will be too late for Gingerbread, this might be something to think about when the EU referendum comes around, as this would be a good law to impose on all members.

Actually many companies these days no longer give references, they simply confirm that someone has worked for them. As usual (e.g. application forms versus CVs) schools are way out of kilter with the real (grown up) world. The squealing by heads would be so amusing, if they were forced to give open references, that I'd probably injure myself laughing.

7. gingerbreadc

Thank you for the advice and for responding to my first post. To celebrate I got rid of my green martian :)

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A perfect avatar!

Thank you, so much easier for me.

Best wishes