1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo! Having no luck!!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Niky, Dec 8, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am getting really fed up and disheartened as i'm applying for many teaching jobs but not getting any interviews except for one 2 weeks ago...but didn't get the job! I don't understand what i'm doing wrong, getting very confused and don't know what else to do! I've asked for feedback on my applications but get general feedback not specific to my application. Getting very fedup at home with no job and supply agencies are very quiet!!! What do i do!!?!

2. Dear Theo,
    I am getting really fed up and disheartened as i'm applying for many teaching jobs but not getting any interviews except for one 2 weeks ago...but didn't get the job! I don't understand what i'm doing wrong, getting very confused and don't know what else to do! I've asked for feedback on my applications but get general feedback not specific to my application. Getting very fedup at home with no job and supply agencies are very quiet!!! What do i do!!?!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

No answers I'm afraid just to say 'join the crowd'.
    Many of us here will sympathise with your plight! You're probably not doing much wrong, it's the sheer surplus of teachers applying for those jobs.
    Having said that, however you may need to go back and reflect on your applications. Have you looked at all Theo's advice in the pinned thread at the start of this forum? here's the link. . .
    Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview...

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, it is just SO depressing, isn't it?
    And quite likely it is all down to the enormous numbers of people out there looking for jobs, and a big drop - between a quarter and a third - in the number of jobs advertised over the last 15 months.
    Now as you seem to be a newbie on here, I'm going to give you the Here's-The-One-I-Prepared-Earlier answer, still warm from the oven!
    Here's how to set about job hunting in an organised fashion.
    Firstly, your application needs to show off all that is great about you. There is too much competition for a quickly-thrown-together one to be effective.
    For an effective application, you should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out automatically. The shortlisting clickables in the Welcome thread explain about this.
    As a summary of the steps to take in getting a job:
    Point 1 Are you getting notification of all possible jobs? Do several JobAlerts here on the TES Forum, for all your subjects, and then repeat them all for the independent schools. * * * * How to set up a Job Alert * * * * is at the top of the page
    Point 2 Are you following the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread?
    Lots of posters have found it gets them interviews - and jobs. Headteachers say that they appreciate candidates who do what I advise.
    Please take Theo's advice!
    taking Theo's Advice
    The benefit of an executive summary
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview
    Point 3 When you have had a few more early-morning phonecalls and have got some supply under your belt, do make sure that you are making the most of all the advantages that come from doing supply. Some applicants tend to be apologetic about supply; you should present it as a positive.
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Point 4 Have you tried doing an interview practice with someone who will give you blunt feedback? You'll need to get ready for when you do get an interview. You might, for example, being doing something quite simple, like screwing up your face in a glare when you are conisdering an answer, which can be very off-putting. And which a school is unlikely to tell you about.
    Point 5 And then, if all has failed because you are already doing all this, then you should be thinking of getting on a train or a coach to come to the application seminars: called Win That Teaching Job. Not sure when the next one is.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Point 6 Finally, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    Now the last two cost money, and although it is worth it (just calculate the difference between your supply pay and a real salary . . .), it always makes sense to try out the free advice first!
    I hope that the above has given you some food for thought. Job applications are much more of a science nowadays!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

5. Hi there Niky,
    I can understand exactly how you must be feeling. I've been applying and applying and not geting any luck with interviews. Until recently my supply was quiet too, which just left me feeling useless!
    I'm afraid i don't have any answers for you, but I can tell you that there are a lot of people here who understand, will listen (read!!), and give amazing support.
    Good luck
    S4mm13

6. Thanks everyone for the support! I have been reading the different forums...will follow this when there are any jobs to apply for!
    I know what you mean about supply its just dead! I just feel i should be doing something...so not used to being sat at home!

7. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I felt just like you for the past 3 months. I felt like my hobby was applying for jobs i'd never hear from again.
    However, i took all the advice on here, and secured one interview, which i was happy about just for the practice. Then i took all the advice on here from Theo and others regarding the interview, did loads of prep, and i got the job. I'm still in shock to be honest, i couldn't sleep last night for excitement.
    I just want to say that 2 weeks ago, i was considering other options than teaching, and giving up. Try not to lose hope, it will happen, just think of all those lovely jobs that will come up at Easter!
    Also, my agency had said that January is when they expected the supply market to pick up as well, so you may get more after Xmas!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Or even before . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

9. I am going through the exact same thing and I have started to think its me and that I am not good enough. I wish you all the luck

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Nope.
    Nope, nope, nope.
    It's just that they allowed Unis and Colleges to take in loads of PGCE students when there weren't jobs for them.
    Nothing to do with you at all.
    Best wishes

11. Lara mfl 05

I agree with Theo IT'S NOT YOU!

12. veni_vidi

veni_vidi New commenter

I also agree, it's not you! But it may be your application. When i look back at the earlier ones i sent, compared to the one that got me an interview, i can see clearly how much better i have become at writing about myself and tailoring it to the school. Keep trying and you'll get there! [​IMG]

13. I am an NQT (of the older variety). I seem to have cracked the application form and have had quite a lot of interviews recently - but no job. So I really think it must be me! I have had all sorts of feedback and I have tried hard to take it all on board. However, the feedback now seems to be getting more and more personal - my presentation (had to give a presentation to the Head) was too dry, my performance in the lesson planning task (had to do a planning task - different interview) lacked passion, the student council said they liked me and my ideas but that they thought I might not be able to control Year 10 students. When I meet people for the first time I am rather reserved and the interviewers just see that and lose interest. Since I have now had quite a lot of interviews (I am too embarrassed to say how many) I feel that going to any more is just to repeat the agony. Perhaps I am like some of those people who audition for the X factor - deluded! How do I know that it is worth persevering and not a better strategy to cut my losses and think again? After all as more and more time elapses surely my chances will only diminish - the time when I was in school (July) will recede further into the distance, I become more demoralised and less confident, and my references will become more and more out of date.
    I am considering the 1-2-1 coaching with Theo but - forgive me for asking - can 45 minutes of coaching change my personality? I now believe this is at the root of the problem. One person who gave me some feedback implied that I just wasn't bossy enough - do you really need to be bossy to be a teacher? If so perhaps they are right.
    Wallowing in an ever-deepening quagmire here.
    Final question .... what else can you do with QTS apart from teach?

14. Lara mfl 05

Most definitely not. Two of the most successful colleagues I've had to priviledge to work with, were 'quiet but determined' and never raised their voices to students.
    You may have to develop an 'alternate personae' for teaching and interviews, a bit like an actor playing a part,
    As to the coaching, it CAN point you in <u>directions</u> to go, which you then work on in your own time.
    Remember someone here posted that they got the job after their 19th interview!

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oops!
    Careful with the spelling! (And the Latin singular/plural . . .)

16. Lara mfl 05

Quite right Theo should read 'persona' ( though one could have more than one I suppose?) and I thought privilege looked wrong as I wrote it. Unfortunately sometimes the edit button doesn't always seem to work, just comes up with error, after I've taken to long to check it.

17. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Quick Lara! Change it to ''<u>too</u> long to check it'' (I think), before Theo can see! Now I've probably spelt something wrong[​IMG]!

18. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, it's a <u>privilege</u>, a real <u>privilege</u>, to have you on the Forum, Welshie.
    [​IMG]
    Really a privilege . . . .
    Best wishes

19. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter