1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- have I shot myself in the foot

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lex_m, Jun 21, 2011.

1. I am an NQT on supply at the minute and I have been applying for jobs around the area , concentrating on jobs at schools where I get called back regularly, although I have also been looking at other schools. When in one school last week where I get called back regularly but when I applied and didnt get through to the interview stage I asked for feedback on my application form. The head wasn't in but the teacher I was covering said off the record that when they were on supply they were told a couple of times that they missed out on interviews because they were too expensive due to the contract the schools have with the agencies. My question is, is this still the case? Have I shot myself in the foot by being supply so the one advantage of being an NQT, and therefore cheap, has gone?
    Thanks

2. I am an NQT on supply at the minute and I have been applying for jobs around the area , concentrating on jobs at schools where I get called back regularly, although I have also been looking at other schools. When in one school last week where I get called back regularly but when I applied and didnt get through to the interview stage I asked for feedback on my application form. The head wasn't in but the teacher I was covering said off the record that when they were on supply they were told a couple of times that they missed out on interviews because they were too expensive due to the contract the schools have with the agencies. My question is, is this still the case? Have I shot myself in the foot by being supply so the one advantage of being an NQT, and therefore cheap, has gone?
    Thanks

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sometimes, yes.
    The schools may have to pay a Finder's Fee to the agency who introduced you to them.
    On the other hand, the school has the advantage of getting someone that they know and trust. And the money advantage doesn't last too long - after a couple of years or so, you will have moved up the scale quite a bit.

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks for your advice