1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Have been asked to write about my learning journey

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pineapplehead, Jun 12, 2012.

1. pineapplehead

pineapplehead New commenter

Dear Theo
    Am in the process of applying for a much-wanted job, which on paper seems perfect and as part of the application I have been asked to write 350 words about 'my learning journey' plus another 350 words about what excites me about the school in question. I am completely stumped because the school does not appear to be asking for a regular personal statement, although I will check that before I send off the application.
    I'm just a bit stuck and not sure how to start, any ideas? With these type of exercises I'm fine once I get going, it's the getting going that's the issue.
    Thanks
    P

2. pineapplehead

Dear Theo
    Am in the process of applying for a much-wanted job, which on paper seems perfect and as part of the application I have been asked to write 350 words about 'my learning journey' plus another 350 words about what excites me about the school in question. I am completely stumped because the school does not appear to be asking for a regular personal statement, although I will check that before I send off the application.
    I'm just a bit stuck and not sure how to start, any ideas? With these type of exercises I'm fine once I get going, it's the getting going that's the issue.
    Thanks
    P

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

OK.
    They want to know what you have learned, and how.
    They are interested in things that are relevant to your job - so pedagogy and personal relationships are the key, in my view.
    Show that you are someone who thinks about how successful things are, and identifies ways to improve.
    Off you go!
    P.S. Do a nice executive summary too, of course.
    Best wishes

4. pineapplehead

Thanks Theo
    I pretty much did as you suggested, plus something about lifelong learning as well.
    Now I've got to write another mini-essay about what excites me about teaching at this school, this is easier as I've gutted the website, Ofsted report and school newsletters for information.
    Cheers
    P

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Sounds as though it's going well!
    Best wishes