1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - handwritten application?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lianne78, Apr 7, 2012.

1. lianne78

lianne78 New commenter

Hi, I am in the process of preparing an application but the formatting on the application form is making it look untidy. I'm sure I once read that errors on an application form should not be corrected, as such I wondered if it would be acceptable to submit a handwritten copy of the form?

2. lianne78

lianne78 New commenter

Hi, I am in the process of preparing an application but the formatting on the application form is making it look untidy. I'm sure I once read that errors on an application form should not be corrected, as such I wondered if it would be acceptable to submit a handwritten copy of the form?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

My immediate reaction to is is 'Why?' Why would anyone want an application with uncorrected errors? It would, to me, seem to suggest, that either theapplicant is unaware of the mistakes or couldn't be bothered. Neither of which would seem to suggest they would view your application favourably.
    Handwritten forms are sometimes asked for, but by choice, most people would prefer <u>not</u> to do these. They needto have drafted a final copy to ensure there are no mistakes and then take every care to ensure their handwriting is legible and with no errors of grammar or spelling.
    Theo is of course the expert, so wait and see if he concurs.

4. I think that it was Theo that said you shouldn't correct their mistakes on the application form. I guess that it because people don't like being corrected and to correct them can appear a little, erm, rude?

Anyway.. I prefer not to fill in an application by hand because it takes forever, and correcting mistakes takes even longer. My hand writing is pretty bad too.

Sometimes I think you need a degree to fill in some of these applications, my dad thinks its part of the selection process :). One I got the other day was so badly formatted that I printed it to PDF, then converted it to a form with gaps so I could fill it in. When it is filled in I'm going to have to print it to another PDF to send it back. I personally think I'm pretty good with the old computers, I have no idea how other people manage it.

5. My immediate reaction to is is 'Why?' Why would anyone want an application with uncorrected errors?
    <font size="2">I think what Lianne78 is referring to is errors in the formatting of the form rather than any errors one may make when filling in said application form. Some forms jump around everywhere when you try and fill them in which is a complete nightmare and makes the whole thing look very scruffy!</font><font size="2">Theo did say only a few posts ago in reply to another query about formatting errors, that some schools do not take kindly to their forms being edited or reformatted by applicants! </font>

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

That makes much better sense!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Did I? My mind is going, I can't remember that!
    I wouldn't advise editing the wording on their form, but improving the formatting so it doesn't print out daft is not bad, as far as I can think.
    So if I said that earlier, I hasve since changed my mind! [​IMG]
    Someone earlier gave easy instructions for changing a file out of PDF into Word, which can make it easy to type in. See if you can do a search and find it.
    Hand-written forms are tricky to fill in, hard to correct, and don't look too neat.
    Best wishes

8. lianne78

lianne78 New commenter

Thanks for your replies. Apologies if the message was unclear, I was referring to changing the formatting of an application form. I will correct the formatting and keep my fingers crossed I don't offend anyone!