1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - handwritten application form

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gila, Jun 13, 2011.

1. A school has asked me to handwrite the application form - does that mean cursive handwriting or printed letters? Thanks for any advice on this!

2. I would do block capitals for all parts, except the supporting statement. That I would do in my neatest handwriting.

3. I'm wondering if I should ring the school to clarify what they mean? My husband thinks I should do the whole form in joint up writing, which would be very difficult due to very small spaces for educational and employment history in my case... I think it's a ridiculous demand and almost puts me off applying for the job - is that their purpose, to limit the number of applicants???

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Definitely block capitals for all but the letter/statement part. I think my first two applications were handwritten, but that was before things like the internet and email applications.

I wouldn't ring them as the office staff won't care what you do and the HT is way too busy to be bothered.

Mind you I wouldn't apply either. Can't be wasting my time handwriting such things.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Agree with Minnie.
    Every single thing that she says above!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really?
    Even the bit about not bothering? Not sure that is meant to be part of your jobseeking advice!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That would quite likely be my personal take on it . . .
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

8. well I have applied grudgingly, in case anybody was wondering. The factor that made me decide to apply was that there was no space on the application form for a personal statement - so I just had to fill in all the boxes by hand, which wasn't too bad. I typed my letter of application.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Maybe when you're appointed, you'll have a chance to show them how to improve . . .[​IMG]

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL I might have been tempted there then if it was a fabulous school!

11. Glad I have found this, as I need to handwrite a 'detailed' letter of application. Can fill out the application form electronically, so can easily print it out. Also requests for apersonal statement within the application form.
    Oddly, the school says you can e-mail in everything, but the letter MUST be handwritten - I'll just scan it in then!! [​IMG] No, I'm going to print my form off and send it in with the handwritten letter as I have plenty of time.
    The role I'm applying for is for a TA position. The school also have a KS2 position advertised (not trained in KS2 and no experience), but don't request a handwritten letter of application for applicants. Am I missing something?

Better get practising my handwriting - I write far too quick for my own good and haven't needed my 'school' handwriting in quite a while!

12. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I'd assume they want your letter in writing because (a) they want to see if you can write legibly enough to work alongside children and?or (b) to see what the quality of your spelling, punctuation and grammar is without the aid of a spell checker.
    Mind, it's not out of the question forsomeone who knows their English is poor to type out and electronically check their statement and then copy it out in best pen, I suppose - though in my experience many people don't realise quite how awful their standard of written English is.
    I was required to write the letter of application by hand for my first headship (back in 1996), though I was permitted to type the rest of the application. As a hooked left-hander, I find writing for prolonged periods of time - and making it legible - quite difficult these days, though as I got the job, it must have been OK.