1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - gutted doesnt cover it

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sarah_26, Jun 29, 2012.

1. I had an interview today chances were high as 6 candidates and 3 jobs. Was feeling good and was well prepared. Day started rocky as my bus got stopped by the Olympic Torch and thought I would be late but got there just in time and gave a great interview presentation and lesson. Came home feeling quietly positive but have just got the call to say that I havent got it.
    The reason being that one of my referees wouldnt complete the reference. this referee being a head teacher and had been told at lunchtime today after I had gone home that if they didnt complete it it would cost me the job. She didnt care. Been crying for 15 minutes. Now im just really angry and even more angry that ists Friday and I have to wait til Monday to phone her up.
    But what do I say, cos at the minute all I want to do is scream down the phone at her that shes an awful B(word).
    Her excuses were she couldnt remember me. I taught there in December 2010 and she gave me a reference in February this year. and also SHE DIDNT HAVE THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?! So angry. What to do? Please help me Theo.
    Sarah x

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Know how you feel. Some things just don't seem to want to be.

I am wondering whether I lost out on a job simply due to my **** mobile reception at my house, I didn't get the message about the call for interview until Thursday afternoon so it was too late for a Fri interview so I had it on the Tuesday. By which time the school had found another candidate to go up against! Guess who got the job?[​IMG]

If possible, don;t use that Head as a reference again, she sounds like a total moo!!!!

3. Thats gutting.... The whole world is sometimes against us.
    She has been deleted from all applications. Just trying to find a replacement. and she is much more than a moo.

4. I know it's hard but perhaps it was not meant to be, think about it that way.
    I am sure there will be other opportunities for you and you will be great.
    Besitos!!
    Alicia

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh, understand what you mean by 'gutted doesn't cover it'.
    I've just had a rejection 'you haven't been selected for interview on this occasion' today, so at least you're one better than me actually getting to interview!
    So shall we commiserate together and share this?
    [​IMG]
    (Virtual chocolate won't put any weight on either!)

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Found just the thing for you Sarah!
    [​IMG]
    You can get rid of all that frustration! [​IMG]
    So sorry you have treated in this way. [​IMG]

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Sorry to hijack Sarah's thread.
    Time for you, Lara, to pop along to the Flowers thread - a delivery is waiting for you ...

8. Poor you! What a way to treat someone! And to know that it cost you a job. Well what goes around comes around and maybe the head will find that out herself next time. How very unprofessional and spiteful of her. Am soo sorry that you didn't get the job especially at this time of year. Am sure something perfect for you will turn up soon. I'm sure you won't be using her as a referee again!

9. Goodness, what rotten luck. I feel for you.
    There is nothing to say to that useless Head. She's clearly a selfish soul, who could not take 10 minutes to do a reference, or 30 seconds to instruct her secretary to find the template on her pc for her to sign. Hopefully what goes around will come around, and arrive at her feet very soon.
    But...couldn't the school have waited til Monday?

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

It could be that the prospective school didn't ask the for the reference until lunchtime today and wanted it done NOW, this MINUTE or the person can't have the job. It could be that the prospective school is hopelessly last minute and would drive you nuts had you been appointed.

Definitely find another referee, but don't ring and confront her. Word gets around and you don't want her to talk.

I'm not a HT, but I do have to write references for staff and some schools seem to think I have nothing to do all day but sit about and wait for reference requests. They ring my school and leave a message with the secretary at 9.30, who writes a note and leaves it to one side to give to the HT when he finishes an assembly or some such. He then realises it is me and not him who needs to write the particular reference and so forwards the request to me (who has full time classteacher responsibility). Then I get a stroppy phonecall at 12.15 from the school, who have expected me to have replied with a full on reference, including exact dates of employment and no. of days absent. I may not actually get the message until then, let alone have time to write the reference and look up the relevant data.

Not saying that this is what happened, I've no idea, but it is easily possible.

11. i know for a fact that she had the request on monday, a follow up Friday and this lunchtime was just a last minute ditch effort from the school. They did their best and I know i did mine, Just wish they had told me at interview so i could have given them an alternative to ring at lunchtime.
    Also this HT has previous.
    On the plus side, got myself another reference sorted for my interview a week on monday and have changed my CV and Application forms, good riddance to her i say.
    Thanks for all your encouraging words I have picked myself up off the floor and ready to go again.
    Sorry to Lara you are always so supportive to all of us on here. im sure something is coming for u xxx

12. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, that's good news!
    Well done!
    You have had a very sad experience, very sad. I am not surprised that you felt pretty mad. Quite understandable.
    But . . .
    But . . . I wonder if you actually followed the correct professional procedure here?
    Did you actually contact this Head before you wrote your application, to check that it was OK to include her as a referee?
    If you didn't . . . if you didn't, you lost the chance to discover that you needed someone else, and also risked annoying her for what could be consider professional discourtesy . . . and that may have made her less willing to write your reference . . .
    Just wondering about that . . .
    Best wishes

13. Yes Theo I did. I went to her directly and asked if she would be my referee and she said 'she would be happy too' I also had the deputy as she was my mentor but took her out after being told that it wasn't best practice to have two referees at the same school. Feeling I left the wrong one in.
    Also she gave me a reference at the end of February. How hard would it be to pull the same thing out 4 months later. I get the feeling its because this school asked for it in a different style and she didnt want to put the time in. I don't know how other schools do it I felt it was basically a block of writing on what I can do. But the school were asking questions instead.
    Focussing on the next interview now with my new reference.

14. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What!!!!!
    Just before you put in your application, she agreed? And then she didn't do it???
    This just gets worse and worse . . .
    But other posters - do remember thaty ou should ask before putting down a referee.
    Best wishes

15. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

What!!!!!
    Just before you put in your application, she agreed? And then she didn't do it???
    This just gets worse and worse . . .
    But other posters - do remember thaty ou should ask before putting down a referee.
    Best wishes

16. I am so sorry to hear about what has happened to you. It seems very odd that your previous Head said, to your face, that she was happy to give you a reference, and then, a little while later she 'cannot remember you'. Might something have been said to her to make her change her mind?

17. amyliv88

amyliv88 New commenter

In every interview I've had the schools haven't had one of my references, I do wonder if it stopped getting me the job. I should have asked if it was the school or my university which wasn't replying but I think it was my university, for various reasons. In an interview situation I find myself too nervous to ask something like that.

At least now you know and can find another reference, I wish you luck!

18. References are such a pain. We do all the hard work and then get let down by something that may not be completely out of our control but something we thought we had covered.
    Universitys and head teachers to my understanding have a professional responsibility to supply references. Unless they can not think of one good thing about you I guess.
    I have a new reference now but the problem being this person only knows what I can do in the EY so if I'm going for a KS2 position what can I do?
    What would happen if I came straight out of uni and worked in one school for 10 years. I would only have one referee then. I understand schools need to be thorough but there has to be something else we could do and also could interviewing schools not forewarn us if they are missing a reference.

19. Also good luck to everyone else at this very stressful time of year xxx

20. Also good luck to everyone at this stressful time of year. xxx