1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, GTC number and 'Legal right to teach in Europe'

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by tonimsmith, Feb 19, 2012.

  1. Dear Theo,
    I was trying to apply for a job in Italy and there was a GTC number that I am required to have and I'm not sure how to go about obtaining one.

    Also, there was a question asked as to whether I had the 'legal right to teach in Europe.'? What does this mean? My grandparents were born in Italy- I have 22 years experience teaching. Does this help?

  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Toni - have you not taught in the UK? Teachers have a GTC number referring to their membership of one of the GTC bodies. The English one is about to be abolished, mind you.
    I have no idea, I'm afraid, what the "legal right to teach in Europe means". I thought that for teachers and some other professions, it differed in each country . . .
    I know that as a citizen of the Euriopean Union (are you?), you would have a right to work, but as a teacher?
    I have found this which actually underpins what I say: for professions, it can differ in each country
    <h2>Recognition of diplomas</h2>The EU has set up systems for recognising diplomas and training that enable you to make full use of your training and skills in another EU country. The basic principle is that if you are qualified to exercise a profession in your home country, you are qualified to exercise the same profession in any other EU country.
    A general system of recognition of qualifications that is applicable to most regulated professions has been put in place across the EU. So, if you wish to work in a profession (as a teacher, lawyer, engineer or psychologist, for example) that is regulated in the country of employment, you must apply for recognition of your qualifications in that country. The authorities have four months in which to reply. If they consider that your training is significantly different in terms of duration or content from that given in the host country, you may be asked to obtain either additional professional experience completing your training, or to take a training course or to take an aptitude test.
    If you are a doctor, a general nurse, a dentist, a midwife, a vet, a pharmacist or an architect, your national qualifications are in principle recognised automatically.
    If your profession is not regulated in the country in which you wish to work, no recognition of your qualifications is required.
    So you need to do some google research in Italian!
    Best Sunday wishes.
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.


Share This Page