1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Griff Possible interview while away on residential

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by fififred, Jun 18, 2011.

1. After several unsuccessful interviews- great feedback each time, just pipped at the post, blah! I am applying for yet another post. Have handed in my notice from my current permanent job, and sited on the form my reason for leaving as ' professional differences'. Don't want to sound too unprofessional by telling the complete truth, ie I was used in the school for putting wherever no-one else would go ( can't say no !) and being my usual self just getting on with it. My performance management requests for consistency, time to consolidate have been ignored because I am the the most flexible i have been bundled around, and basically have had enough! So my first question is, does professional differences sound good enough, I know I will be asked in interview- it has already happened and I answered the above and asked not to be pushed as I didn't want to be unprofessional!
    Secondly, the real reason for this post. I have an application going in for Monday. I forgot to ask when the interviews will be, and I can't ring before the application has to be in, but if the interview is a week later as is common, I will be away on residential with my class. I am going to mention the dates I am not available in my covering letter- do you think this will just make it easier for them to discard my application without looking further though? I really want to work in the school, my supporting statement is full of the things that they want and I really feel my teaching style and personality would fit in the school, so I want them to read about me before discarding me because I can't make the interview! Obviously I need to tell them somewhere of the dates I am unavailable.

2. After several unsuccessful interviews- great feedback each time, just pipped at the post, blah! I am applying for yet another post. Have handed in my notice from my current permanent job, and sited on the form my reason for leaving as ' professional differences'. Don't want to sound too unprofessional by telling the complete truth, ie I was used in the school for putting wherever no-one else would go ( can't say no !) and being my usual self just getting on with it. My performance management requests for consistency, time to consolidate have been ignored because I am the the most flexible i have been bundled around, and basically have had enough! So my first question is, does professional differences sound good enough, I know I will be asked in interview- it has already happened and I answered the above and asked not to be pushed as I didn't want to be unprofessional!
    Secondly, the real reason for this post. I have an application going in for Monday. I forgot to ask when the interviews will be, and I can't ring before the application has to be in, but if the interview is a week later as is common, I will be away on residential with my class. I am going to mention the dates I am not available in my covering letter- do you think this will just make it easier for them to discard my application without looking further though? I really want to work in the school, my supporting statement is full of the things that they want and I really feel my teaching style and personality would fit in the school, so I want them to read about me before discarding me because I can't make the interview! Obviously I need to tell them somewhere of the dates I am unavailable.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1

Well, I don't know about good enough, but it will very likely be flagged up . . . people will be a tad wary of you, I guess, in case you turn out to be a Staffroom Blocker, or worse, the Staffroom Bolshie. "Lack of further professional opportunities", if true, might be better.
    Q2

Possibly. It is very complicated to hold one interview on a different date, especially later. If you were an outstanding candidate they might wait a day, but any longer and they risk losing other candidates who might get another job while waiting to hear from them.
    Why? Have they asked you to? Unless they give the dates, or ask you to tell them what your availability is, I am not sure that this is that necessary.
    Depends how good a candidate you are from their perspective whether they would change the whole schedule for you.
    Best of luck.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thank you for the prompt replies. Definitely not bolshie or blocker, least experienced in school and least bolshie- others threatened unions when told to move year groups, I just did as my contract says and went where Headteacher directed. I suppose lack of further professional opportunities does sound better. I couldn't progress in any particular key stage because of the constant moving. I have no clear experience on my cv at the moment as it is one year here, another year there. I have explained it is because of falling role in each case and I have had to go where needed and was hoping this would show I was flexible! i am mainly also applying for part-time jobs as this is another huge reason why I have resigned I have felt pulled in too may directions by a family who are having a stressful time and my need to be an excellent teacher which takes me away from my own children! Maybe I should be more honest about this aspect and put family reasons down as my reason for leaving?

Thanks also about the clarification about not having to tell them any dates I am unavailable, suppose I might be worrying about nothing, as may not even get through to that stage and it may be on a different date to the one I am supposing!! Just very stressed about what I have done to my career by resigning from a permanent job without having somewhere to move to!

Thank you anyway for reading my ramblings. I have used your excellent advice on executive summaries and have interviews for every application I have made- so it works from that point of view. I just keep messing up the interview part, despite my Headteacher giving me practise interviews before each one! I am looking into your seminars next weekend.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Didn't think that you were, but that could be the interpretaion!
    Yes - wishing to go part-time and this nor being available in your school would be a good reason.
    Good luck - but be careful of typos in your application.
    falling roll
    practice interviews
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

<a name="6816251">[/URL]