1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- Got the job but in a right pickle

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by NowaMrs, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Dear Theo
    Long story short, am starting new job after Easter and have already resigned current post. Have now discovered new job have given me a timetable with a language on it that I can't teach and have no qualification in. I was always honest about this in my application and interview. School told me at interview that for the right candidate they'd buy in a separate teacher to teach the language that I couldn't. Well that hasn't happened. This isn't fair surely? Isn't this them going back on their word? I was always honest and upfront about my languages and they hired me knowing this. What can I do? I have obviously verbally accepted the offer at the interview stage but I am really unhappy about this. This was NOT in the advert or interview that I would have to teach this language, they repeated several times that they'd sort it. Also, job advert said they wanted French and another language but now they've told me they're phasing out the other language and only French is offered. This wasn't the job I applied for...? I don't want to "lose" my 2nd language by not being able to teach it regularly [​IMG]
    What am I within my rights to do? They say they're trying to sort out a teacher to teach this subject but where do I stand on if this arrangement falls through, is it back to being my responsibility again?
    I am not the sort of person to go breach contract or anything but I'm feeling very nervous and unhappy about starting this job when I should be excited.... :(
    Many thanks

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Goodness!
    What does your written offer letter say?
    But haven't you accepted in writing too? After receiving their written offer?
    This is a different - and fairly minor issue - compared to being asked to teach Sanskrit or something that you cannot speak or write. Your second language could be a club or activity, a sixth-form enrichment.
    It all boils down to the written offer, and its wording. It may just say "teacher" and I believe that they can ask you to teach practically anything. However, whereas you can follow the textbook (although not ideally) for some unknown subjects, an unknown language is slightly different here.
    So look at your offer letter, and contact your union for more advice.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. Thanks Theo.
    All great advice, will look through my offer letter and speak to my union rep.
    Cheers again