1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - going off the point

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MrPCummins, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I keep messing up my interviews - in my whole carreer I have only managed to get one job when there was more than one person at the interview. I have had 7 interviews this year.
    From feedback one of the problems is that I get carried away with my answers and talk to much, and go off the point.
    Do you reckon it would be OK to take a notebook so I can write down the question to refer to during my answers?

2. I keep messing up my interviews - in my whole carreer I have only managed to get one job when there was more than one person at the interview. I have had 7 interviews this year.
    From feedback one of the problems is that I get carried away with my answers and talk to much, and go off the point.
    Do you reckon it would be OK to take a notebook so I can write down the question to refer to during my answers?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I think this might possibly give off negative vibes- what do others think? I believe people in the past have mentioned it might be alright to use <u>small</u> 'cue cards though, provided you don't use them all the time?
    Everyone knows people are nervous at interviews and understands What might be a better idea is to prepare some 3 important things to get in at some point. Whenever you are asked a question, take a breath to think, can I include one of my points here? If not, just answer simply and shortly- you can always add "Would you like some more details?" and <u>if</u> asked to expand, then do so.
    Theo often suggests getting a trusted friend, who will be truthful, to do a mock interview to help you prepare.
    You're obviously getting interviews, so you're considered a potential, you just need to 'crack that interview''!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done on getting all those interviews!
    But oh dear, how disappointing that they don't end up in a job. About that notebook . . .
    Do you really think that writing down the answer will help you stick to the point? Are you actually going to look down half way through a long long answer, and stop and read the question and then say "Sorry, I am going off the point here"?
    Nope, you're not.
    You need one - or more - of 3 things.
    1) practice with someone who is bossy enough to tell you where you are going wrong, and has the insight to realise what the answer should be, so can see where you go off the point. Do you know someone who is, say, a Head of Dept who could help you? That would be ideal, but if not a friend or bossy sister could do if you give them the right info.
    2) To come to one of the interview coaching sessions that TES does with a small group of you. Next one is Saturday 25th February, but they get booked up VERY fast.
    www.tesweekendworkshop86.eventbrite.com
    3) To have individual interview training with me or someone else in the team. E-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk for more details.
    Always try the free stuff before you go into paying mode!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes