1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - getting stressed with E.S!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by welshchocoholic1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Hate it! Hate it! Hate it! (Getting a bit frustrated now [​IMG]!)
    OK, so I've taken off lots of their points, and have condensed it to 22 points- still too much, I know - but better than 40ish!
    I haven't managed to get it down to 1 page, it's 1 and a half pages still[​IMG]. I saw that another poster had asked about fonts,etc. Now I know it should really be font 12. I have it at TNR 11 atm. Even though it's 1 and a half pages, I haven't eve put my bits in yet.
    Q Their points are very 'wordy'. Am I allowed to condense thier points more, or do I have to leave them like they are, as they obviously wrote them?
    I think I am a lost cause, and need a magic wand!
    [​IMG]

2. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

Try using a font sans serif? (and no smileys - it'll be hard, I know) I thought you had a job, anyway?

3. welshchocoholic1

That made it 2 pages, but thanks for the thought!
    Haha - The Cheek! Don't worry, I don't use <u>any</u> smileys in my applications!
    I do, but it's long term, possibly up until the Easter holidays, so that' why I'm still applying, and applying for permanent, etc!
    No smiley in this post! See I can do it!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Now if you look at my example on the shortlisting clickable. In it I mean. You'll see that what they require is mainly expressed in 3 or 4 words. But originally these were whole long sentences - I cut them down, condensed them.
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    <tr><td colspan="2">Summary
    John Smith

</td></tr><tr><td> Your requirements</td><td> My experience</td></tr><tr><td>
    • Leadership of others
    </td><td>
    • Deputy Head at Gasworks High
    • Led team that was awarded top grade in Ofsted Inspection, 2004
    • Led successful team planning Curriculum 2000 for 165 sixth formers
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Understanding others
    </td><td>
    • Investor in People Assessor, April 2004: &ldquo;Gasworks staff hold you in high esteem and appreciate you as a supportive and caring Deputy Head&rdquo;
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Drive for Improvement
    </td><td>
    • GCSE A*-C rose from 46% to 68% in 3 years
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Planning and thinking ahead
    </td><td>
    • Managed operational and strategic planning cycles in LeafyLane Comprehensive
    • Contribute to setting and achieving of strategic objectives in Gasworks High
    </td></tr><tr><td>
    • Understanding the School as a Business
    </td><td>
    • Successful in-depth experience of: budget management; financial planning; monitoring of monthly management accounts; efficiency gains through resource management; income generation; managing change; personnel issues; use of management information to support decision-making
    </td></tr>
    </table>(This table has not come out well - but it's just copied from the clickable).
    And, ahem. And if you should care to look at the handouts that I gave when you came to the seminar, the PowerPoint on writing Executive Summaries says, on page 4, Shorten them, summarise: see example. And then one of the other sheets actually gives an example on one side: a long criterion and then its shortened version. Gives in fact a whole page of examples of condensing . . .
    So, yes, you jolly well do condense their words, and then your table is two or three times as wide on YOUR side as on theirs, allowing you to get more in.
    Off you go!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

5. welshchocoholic1

Oops! I did, but not properly, and had a blonde moment - thought that in that bit it meant the bits I had to summarise. Just so stressed out with it, wasn't reading it, or doing it properly! Just re-read it but properly this time!
    Yay - your Magic Wand has worked - It's a page now!! Thank you Theo!
    Sorry - no smileys - I'm giving up!

6. clear_air

clear_air New commenter

No don't! Your posts always make me [​IMG]

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I should get TES to charge you double for the seminar - to keep the info in your mind!
    [​IMG]
    Good luck with the application.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

8. welshchocoholic1

[​IMG] I know! Please don't do that! I have a lot of info and things in and on my mind - they just all get muddled up sometimes!
    Haha - it's looking A LOT better than it was already! Thanks again!
    1 smiley