1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, getting desperate!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by annap28, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I don't know if you will be able to help at all, I'm just looking for some advice. I'm currently working in the UAE, I have 8 years experience including 3 teaching IB. I've handed in my notice and my position has been filled, and I don't have a job lined up. I attended a fair in London but was unsuccesful ( I limited myself very much in the schools I was interested in). I woud love to return to the UK and am filling out applications left right and centre! I have read all of the tips and am really working hard on each letter I send, but I am not hearing anything back. I'm making it clear to heads that I will shortly be in the UK (family wedding) so would be available for interview if shorlisted, and I feel like I've got good experience and I know I'm a good teacher. I'm at breaking point with the worry, and would grealy appreciate any words of advice at all.
    Thank you and sorry for the ramble!

2. Dear Theo,
    I don't know if you will be able to help at all, I'm just looking for some advice. I'm currently working in the UAE, I have 8 years experience including 3 teaching IB. I've handed in my notice and my position has been filled, and I don't have a job lined up. I attended a fair in London but was unsuccesful ( I limited myself very much in the schools I was interested in). I woud love to return to the UK and am filling out applications left right and centre! I have read all of the tips and am really working hard on each letter I send, but I am not hearing anything back. I'm making it clear to heads that I will shortly be in the UK (family wedding) so would be available for interview if shorlisted, and I feel like I've got good experience and I know I'm a good teacher. I'm at breaking point with the worry, and would grealy appreciate any words of advice at all.
    Thank you and sorry for the ramble!

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Theo will probably be much more help than me, but I think it might help show you what you are up against if I shared my experience.

Though by no means exclusively, I have been applying to UK schools: independents, and occasionally some of the better state schools. My subject is maths, and yet I regularly hear the same thing back. The kind of schools I'm prepared to consider are being inundated with candidates.

Apparently, at the moment, it's really hard for anybody (regardless of subject) to get a job in a good UK school.

Finally, regardless of occupation, it's always harder to get a job when you are out of work. There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, it's a perversity of human nature that something that someone else has is often regarded as more desirable. Secondly, people are automatically suspicious about those who are not in a job.

Sorry to be so negative, but your easiest course might well be to try and find another job in the UAE.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear!
    Yes, it is really hard trying to get a job when based overseas - it's the obligation to attend an interview, teach a class etc.
    THe offer to be here for interviews when the wedding is on is a step, but probably not a lot of use, to be honest. Schools will not plan their recruitment cycle to fit in with your family wedding. They have a timeline that they will want to abide by, not move it for just one person.
    And I can understand that.
    You don't say what KS or subject, nor where in UK you want to move to. This will make a difference to your chances.
    However, despite what Mr Gatling says, I believe that a competent teacher with good references and an impressive record of successful teaching and a commitment to the schools, will find a job.
    Just not from abroad, probably, unless you are prepared and able to drop everything and rush to UK for interviews. At your own expense.
    It looks as though you may hsave to grit your teeth and be prepared for possible temporary unemployment on your return. Sorry!
    Have you read this thread?
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    I am sorry not to give you more hope, but being abroad makes it very difficult.
    Best of luck
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!