1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Getting an interview after long term sickness absence

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by planetarium64, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,

I have applied for several jobs recently and I know that my references have been requested on several occasions but then I am not called to interview. All I can think is that I have been off for a term with Stress (specific to my current work situation), and I had only been at the school for a term prior to this, so my most recent reference will not have much information about my achievements. Is there anything I can do to improve my chances of being shortlisted? Should I declare everything on a covering letter with an application form? I am on UPS3 so I am a very expensive choice.
    Any advice would be gratefully received
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I hope that you are now much much better.
    Don't worry, this is a problem faced by others, and they can be successful in getting jobs. What you need to do is be open about it in your aplication letter. You could conisder having a very brief mention of it, along these lines: Having successfully got through a period of stress-related ill=health, I have now developed coping mechanisms that mean that I am much better equipped than other teachers for performing successfully when faced by the everyday pressures of the job.
    But only write it if it.s true, of course.
    Read this thread:
    Dear Theo: Cover Letter.. and, of course, all the clickables in the Welcome thread to get advice on how to write a good application.
    Best wishes