1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Getting a new post during induction year - realistic?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sfm_81, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi Theo

I am an NQT currently in my 2nd term of teaching, I completed my training last summer.

Without getting into the ins and outs of it, is it realistically possible for me to be out there looking for a new post this September, in a similar year group? My theory is that I will be hindered by this...

"Why exactly are you leaving the school after less than a year?" - I mean, I am an NQT so I don't really have a leg to stand on here, can I really get into the details about it? - I don't agree with the schools assessment policy, I don't agree with the way the TAs are taught to intervene way above their level, I don't think the school will go from good to outstanding? That's all a bit much for an NQT isn't it? Won't any recruiting head say (or at least think) that I need to just keep my head down for another year and stop thinking in too much detail about things like this?

I really want to move, but is it going to actually be a bad career move?

Any advice is welcome.
    Thanks Sfm.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you're unhappy you have to consider yourself first- if you're not your teaching will suffer.
    On the other hand you've only been at the school just over one term, it does take a while to settle. Also who says the next school would turn out better- no school is perfect, all have their pros & cons abd you might even leap out of the frying pan into the fire!
    Reasons you might give are ;
    to gain experience of other schools-especially if you did your training at your present school.
    personal circumstances.
    I'm not sure how Heads might react, most would see the need to gain experience but might feel it was too soon.
    Give it a bit of time you might settle by the end of the year.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some excellent advice there from Lara!
    I'll just add a couple of things.
    Many NQT posts are one year only, not permanent, so it may be that you aren't asked at all. They may just suppose that you have a one-year contract.
    There is a great deal of unemployment among Primary teachers, with jobs sometimes receiving 200+ or even 300+ applications. Having a permanent post in Primary, as you have, is like gold dust, and many people would give their front teeth for that. So do try to be sure that this isn't the place for you, try to see if you can adapt a little, so that you can see the advantages of the way that the TAs work, or of the assessment policy.
    Finally, if you do decide to apply, make sure that you tell your Head before you do. The worst possible thing is for her to find out when a reference request lands on her desk.
    Best wishes!
    I shall be doing Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contributing to the Job Application Seminars and Weekend Workshops over February half term. We shall be looking at application letters, executive summaries and interviews.
    The next Weekend Workshop on applications is on Sunday 23rd January. Contact advice@tes.co.uk for more details on all of these.
    Look forward to seeing you then!