1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Gaps in employment history

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mirigirl, Sep 21, 2015.

1. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

Dear Theo,

I'm updating my CV in order to apply for International schools in the Netherlands. I have a few short gaps in my employment history where we moved countries (my husband is in the Oil and Gas industry). Most recently, whilst working in the UK, I have a six week gap where I left a school in the first week of January due to illness, and started at a new school immediately after half term, following surgery and recovery from it.

What advice can you give me about how to deal with these gaps? Your excellent advice says "no unexplained gaps" or occasionally "no gaps". What would you recommend?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just give the dates and put the reason:

01 Sep 2005 - 31 Aug 2008: Teacher of History, Greengates School

01 Sep 2008 - 15 Oct 2008: moving house from UK to Saudi Arabia

16 Oct 2008 - 31 July 2014 : Teacher of History, English School of Saudi Arabia

01 Aug 2014 - 31 Aug 2014: moving house back to UK

01 Sep 2014 - 30 June 205: part-time Tutor of History, Reading Home Tutors

01 Jul 2015 - 31 Aug 2015: recovering from surgery

01 Sep 2015 - ongoing: teacher of History at Downtown Hall Comprehensive School

It doesn't matter if there are gaps in teaching, there just mustn't be any gaps in your chronology.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. mirigirl

mirigirl New commenter

Thank you - that's absolutely clear and very helpful.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter