1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- from international to independent interview-in a panic!

Discussion in 'Independent' started by spring chicken, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am currently overseas and spent 2 years working at an international school (primary) then got married and had a baby in September. I have been looking around at some options in Europe for my next job and applied for a couple of independent schools in the UK, without much hope of anything coming of it. However, by some amazing chance I have got an interview at one of them which coincides with my visit home next week. Now I am in a right panic though. I haven't actually done my NQT year and I don't know if this will be an option there or an issue. I have to teach a lesson too and I don't know if it's ok to email to ask questions about topics the students have done/ whether I should plan to use the IWB/ whether I will have time to set up beforehand etc. Or should I just prepare something I can do regardless? I am inclined to think that the most important thing will be my way with the children and maybe my planning, is this right? I honestly wasn't expecting to get anywhere with this and had pretty much resigned myself to scraping around the language schools for next year but it would be so good to be able to move back to the UK for a while. I really don't want to mess this up now and would really appreciate some advice.
    Thanks!

2. Dear Theo,
    I am currently overseas and spent 2 years working at an international school (primary) then got married and had a baby in September. I have been looking around at some options in Europe for my next job and applied for a couple of independent schools in the UK, without much hope of anything coming of it. However, by some amazing chance I have got an interview at one of them which coincides with my visit home next week. Now I am in a right panic though. I haven't actually done my NQT year and I don't know if this will be an option there or an issue. I have to teach a lesson too and I don't know if it's ok to email to ask questions about topics the students have done/ whether I should plan to use the IWB/ whether I will have time to set up beforehand etc. Or should I just prepare something I can do regardless? I am inclined to think that the most important thing will be my way with the children and maybe my planning, is this right? I honestly wasn't expecting to get anywhere with this and had pretty much resigned myself to scraping around the language schools for next year but it would be so good to be able to move back to the UK for a while. I really don't want to mess this up now and would really appreciate some advice.
    Thanks!

3. I think maybe you need to make your NQT year not completed clear, as this is important for you as well as the school. Emailing for more clarity of the observation including all of your points (IWB etc...) doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Knowing what curriculum the independent school follows is crucial and you really will need to know about this, if it is similar, or the same to your international school experience, (PYP, International curriculum etc..) then you will need to show your understanding of this. through your lesson and interview.
    Not an expert but an ex international teacher. Hope this helps.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you read the thread about coming back:
    End of contract and applying for a post in the UK for September?
    Just for general info.
    You have certainly lucked in with your interview timing - perfect! Now, as an independent school, you don't have to actually be a fully qualified and inducted teacher to work there. But getting your NQT year done would be great. You need to check if they support the induction scheme:
    Yes you can do your Induction Year in an Independent School
    They certainly need to know, because it has an impact on their timetable as you have to have fewer teaching hours. This will make you more expensive for them, so be prepared for them to say that you should be starting lower in the scale. As you have not got induction nor worked as a qualified teacher in the UK, you could theoretically be put on the bottom of the scale, despite your time overseas.
    Yes, do ask them questions - only sensible, but keep them to a minimum, number them clearly rather than expect them to find them in a whole pile of text. Er . .. hum, let me now try and find any more of your questions that I haven't answered because they are . . .
    Do ensure that you have a clear lesson plan - gooigle to find a blank that you can use. It should show differentiation - oh, and of course, you will need a plan B if you get the level wrong. Nothing is worse than seeing a teacher grimly stick to what has been planned when it is blaringly obvious that it is too easy or too hard.
    Big hug to the baby and good luck to you!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.