1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Formatting Executive Summary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by polkadots29, Mar 3, 2016.

1. polkadots29

polkadots29 New commenter

Hi Theo, I've found a job I'd like to apply for and have concluded that I need to try my hand at an executive summary as there is space in the form for a supporting statement and a letter of application is also required.

However, the form is a PDF file with little to no formatting options, so I can't lay it out as you suggest in column form. I know you advise against just attaching something and writing 'see attachment', and the only solution I can think of is underlining each requirement (the only formatting option I appear to have!!) before writing how I meet the requirement but not sure how good that would look.

All advice and suggestions gratefully received!

Thank you :)

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Clever people tell me that there is a clever way to do this. . .

I have found that the only way that I can manage is this.

Print the form when it's all ready except this box.

Print your E.S., getting it to the right size to fit in that space.

Stick it in.

Scan the document as it now stands. Don't forget to put your name as part of the filename.

Bingo!

Any clever person who can remind us of another clever way of putting these two bits together, step forward now!

Best wishes

3. polkadots29

Thank you - I hadn't considered that.

The problem is that I had to query with the school the fact that the sections of tables for my education etc weren't wide enough and whether I should simply recreate the table in a separate file. They said they could manage fine with the PDF file so I can't send a scanned document I don't think.

Such a pain and I really want this job! There has to be some easy solution. I don't think anyone else who is applying for the job will be this confused by it all?!

4. splinters

splinters Established commenter

There are online PDF editors that you can use although they require some form of payment/subscription to be used properly. I wish they would all use online applications especially when they keep everything saved as you progress.

5. splinters

splinters Established commenter

6. polkadots29

Thank you for your input - I'm using Foxit Reader currently and have actually possibly just answered my own question. I can insert an image into a particular place so I'm hoping to be able to screenshot my ES after writing it on a Word document and insert it!

Will report back for the benefit of anybody else having this odd dilemma!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A scanned document would be a pdf, surely?

Best wishes

8. polkadots29

As in they need the original to see the sections where an entry was longer than the width of the table. My own secondary school's name, for instance is quite long and doesn't fit in the table where I need to write about my education so they need the original file to be able to expand the boxes!

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

*sigh*

So why don't they give an editable version, in Word for example?

*sigh, sigh, sigh*

Best wishes

10. polkadots29

Tell me about it... still frustrated but I really want this job so I am determined!