1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Follow up email/letter after interview...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by glenn_xp, Jun 18, 2011.

1. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Is it a good idea to send a follow up letter or email to the person who interviewed you?
    I've read online that it is a good idea to thank them for their time and express an interest in the job and underline again your suitablility for the role.
    I've never done this before and am not sure if it would actually impress or annoy.
    Most likely my letter to them would probably cross in the post with their rejection letter to me leaving me feeling a bit of a berk. But still, might be worth a try.
    Anyone have thoughts on this?

2. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Is it a good idea to send a follow up letter or email to the person who interviewed you?
    I've read online that it is a good idea to thank them for their time and express an interest in the job and underline again your suitablility for the role.
    I've never done this before and am not sure if it would actually impress or annoy.
    Most likely my letter to them would probably cross in the post with their rejection letter to me leaving me feeling a bit of a berk. But still, might be worth a try.
    Anyone have thoughts on this?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Ha!
    I can make a guess here.
    Have a look at the site that told you this. It is either (a) an American site or (b) a Business site. It might even be both!
    It is most definitely NOT an English education site.
    If you did that to a school, they would think that you were seriously weird. Seriously weird.
    Anyway, you wouldn't have time to do it and it reach them before they make their decision. Do you think that at the end of the day's interviews, the Head is going to say: "I'll just pop over and see if any of the candidates have e-mailed me yet to thank me for my time"
    So your gut feel:
    is dead right.
    Don't do it.
    And don't get advice from books or the web - just from the Welcome thread here. Open it up now and read the clickables inside.
    (Funnily enough, just today i was doing some application seminars, and one of the things that I said was not to follow advice on American or Business websites, because you will just do something that makes you look daft. And I quoted the actual example that you have above! Small world.)
    Good luck!

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

<a name="6816251">[/URL]