1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Flummoxed by application process!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by j33ffa, Mar 7, 2011.

1. j33ffa

j33ffa New commenter

Hi Theo

I am sure this maybe a repetition of previously asked questions, however I have been unable to find the exact answer to my question -and hopefully this may help others too.

I am applying for a job which does not state if I should write a cover letter, or how I should return the application. There is a space on the application to write how I fit the person specification.

So the question is...

Should I fill in this section only.... or complete this section AND provide a covering letter as well?

Also I am currently working as a TA as I fell pregnant during my PGCE, so decided not to rush into teaching, and I am considering writing this in my application, and how I am now keen to fulfill my ambition to teach, do you think this will go in my favour for honesty (at least it gives a reason as to why I have not got a job on completion of my PGCE!)?

Many thanks
    Jenni

2. j33ffa

j33ffa New commenter

Hi Theo

I am sure this maybe a repetition of previously asked questions, however I have been unable to find the exact answer to my question -and hopefully this may help others too.

I am applying for a job which does not state if I should write a cover letter, or how I should return the application. There is a space on the application to write how I fit the person specification.

So the question is...

Should I fill in this section only.... or complete this section AND provide a covering letter as well?

Also I am currently working as a TA as I fell pregnant during my PGCE, so decided not to rush into teaching, and I am considering writing this in my application, and how I am now keen to fulfill my ambition to teach, do you think this will go in my favour for honesty (at least it gives a reason as to why I have not got a job on completion of my PGCE!)?

Many thanks
    Jenni

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have you read carefully the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread at the top?
    These will give you general ideas for your application - ideas that have worked for loads of posters.
    If the space on the form is about a page, put your executive summary in there (see the clickables for explanation) and then do a full application letter too.
    If this space is too small, just put a few things in it, and then have the executive summary as page 3 of your 2-page application letter.
    Do read the clickables!
    Anything that is honest and shows passion for your profession should work in your favour!
    Best wishes
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!