1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: First time looking for a teaching job.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MissHand, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am currently an NQT at a Secondary school where I taught as an "unqualified teacher"/"instructor" last year. I am currently looking at moving schools, due to needing to address my work-life balance and looking for somewhere a bit more local. This is my first time looking for a 'proper' teaching job, so I have a few questions:
    Firstly, all my teacher training has been in English, however I also teach half a timetable of psychology A-level, and have a psychology undergraduate degree. I am keen to continue to teach both subjects but think that this is an unlikely combination for a new school. Should I apply for English jobs, and mention that I can also teach psychology, or vice-versa? Or both? Will it disadvantage me if the school is clearly only offering one subject on the job description?
    Secondly, when or how do I tell my school that I am looking for a new job? At the moment my school is happy to keep me on if I want to stay and I don't want to jeopardise this in case I don't get a new job. Obviously I will need my current Head to write a reference for me: what is the etiquette here?
    Lastly, I went straight from Uni into this job, so who do I use as a second reference (after my Head)? My mentor? One of my training tutors (although we didn't have that much contact with each other)? My supervisor from my undergrad?
    I realise I am very lucky to have a job at the moment so I apologise for all the questions. I have looked through the forum but can't find anything that quite answers my questions.
    Thank you in advance.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am pleased to learn that you actually have a job to do your induction year - you don't know how lucky you are!
    As for moving jobs, my advice is that you should read carefully the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread here. They will give you the general outline of writing a good application. This thread gives the general outline of the procedure for getting a job:
    Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    Q1 It depends how keen you are to move. There will probably be more English jobs advertised than Psychology. I do feel that getting a 50/50 job is unlikely, though, and you will have to weigh up which is more important for you.
    Q2 As soon as you see a job that you are going to apply for. The worst possible thing would be for the school to find out by an request for a reference arriving on the Head's desk.
    Q3 Your HoD is normally the other person to have. You have left your PGCE year behind, it's your current school who will provide the 2 references.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars