1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - First interview in an independent school?!?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by squirlywhirly, May 1, 2011.

1. I have my first ever teaching interview on Wednesday and it's in an independent high achieving girls' school. I'm a MFL student teacher, who went to an independent girls' school herself, but even so, I don't know what to expect at an interview!

The job advert was a little confusing, as they said they wanted French or German to A Level and Spanish to KS4. I can do French to A Level, and in theory German as well (although I haven't taught it on my placements), but I don't do Spanish. At all. Am therefore a bit surprised they've asked me to interview, since they said Spanish was 'essential'.

I can, however, teach Mandarin Chinese to KS4. Do you think this is what has attracted them to me? I'm not really sure what they'll focus on during the interview.

Have to teach a 25 minute French lesson to a Y8 mixed set. Am yet to plan. Any advice on any differences in teaching styles in the independent sector? Do these schools frown upon games, for example? I use a lot of these with my own Y8s, but my placement is in a state school.

I also haven't been informed of the itinerary of the day, whether it's interview or lesson first, or how many candidates are being interviewed. Is this normal? Have a second interview on Thursday at a state school which has told me all of this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. I have my first ever teaching interview on Wednesday and it's in an independent high achieving girls' school. I'm a MFL student teacher, who went to an independent girls' school herself, but even so, I don't know what to expect at an interview!

The job advert was a little confusing, as they said they wanted French or German to A Level and Spanish to KS4. I can do French to A Level, and in theory German as well (although I haven't taught it on my placements), but I don't do Spanish. At all. Am therefore a bit surprised they've asked me to interview, since they said Spanish was 'essential'.

I can, however, teach Mandarin Chinese to KS4. Do you think this is what has attracted them to me? I'm not really sure what they'll focus on during the interview.

Have to teach a 25 minute French lesson to a Y8 mixed set. Am yet to plan. Any advice on any differences in teaching styles in the independent sector? Do these schools frown upon games, for example? I use a lot of these with my own Y8s, but my placement is in a state school.

I also haven't been informed of the itinerary of the day, whether it's interview or lesson first, or how many candidates are being interviewed. Is this normal? Have a second interview on Thursday at a state school which has told me all of this.

Thanks in advance for any help!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done! Getting an interview is great news. Getting TWO is even better!
    First, go to the independent Forum and look at the Welcome thread there, and browse a bit.
    Then come back to JobSeekers and open the interview clickables inside our Welcome thread. You´ll get advice on preparing for the interview.
    Every indy school is a law unto itself. I would have expected them to give you some idea of the timetable for the day, but it seems that they haven´t. The Mandarin may well be seen as a good alternative to the Spanish; it´s certainly easier to get a PT teacher for Spanish to fill the gap than for Mandarin.
    The big difference in indy sector is that the level may be higher (so check that you have a Plan B if it´s too easy) and you will get through more material as they won´t waste time and mess about in the lesson. So have more material available, have plenty of extension activities for differentiation. games should not be a problem, as long as they have and achieve a clear aim of improving learning.
    Looking forward to you starting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks Theo, that was helpful.

I have thought about the level being higher, but to be honest, I'm not sure how much higher! Also not sure how I can extend the topic they've given me, but I suppose that's a post for the MFL forum...