1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Feeling Sore

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by wigglyworm, Feb 26, 2012.

1. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Dear Theo and all,
    I am feeling a little sore following a rejection last week. It was for a HOD position and I was lucky enough to be shortlisted and invited to a selection day. However, a range of tasks took place on the day after which further shortlisting took place before interview.
    I did not get shortlisted for interview but am finding the feedback from the process frustrating. One of the tasks was an in-tray activity. Apparently, I prioritised all of these correctly, but was told that my commentary did not follow appropriate protocol on a couple of occasions. To be honest, in the scenarios described, what I would really do would be to seek senior management support as, having not been in a HOD post before, I would obviously be learning on the job. I am frustrated because on the one hand one is told that it is not possible to prepare for in-tray activities, but on the other hand if there are just standard procedures, these should not be a 'closed book' to non leaders seeking to make the step-up. And if there are standard procedures then surely this should be shared. How do I find out how a HOD should be expected to behave, without having been one, or been in a position to ask senior leaders in specific scenarios? I am frustrated because the process did not seem to test my aptitude for leadership, rather my access to a list of systems that may or may not be school-specific, but either way I could easily be trained in (in 5 minutes).
    I know that we do not share exemplar responses on these forums and for very good reason. But to be honest, if there are standard procedures that all candidates would be expected to follow, sharing these would surely do no harm. If the same response is expected from all, I am also baffled as to how this task can be used to differentiate the calibre of the candidate.
    Sour grapes? Definitely! I know I sound like a sulky child. But I prepared for a month in total for this application/selection process and to not be able to interview for the position was galling. If I am going to put myself up for scrutiny again, I would really like to know how I should prepare for these HOD scenarios in such activities.
    I post at the risk of being shot down in flames I know. Please bear in mind I have cried for days over this and am only now drying out!!!
    ww

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, this is definitely an occasion for this:
    [​IMG]
    I can understand your frustration about the standard procedures. And to be quite honest, I couldn't share them with you because they are such a big secret that I haven't the faintest idea what they are!
    I have never heard of a set of standard procedures for HoDs.
    But try jotting down what the scenarios were, and asking your HoD what s/he reckons should be done. It does occur to me that the standard procedure may be to consult school policy and procedures before taking any action . . .
    Now have some more:
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com

3. wigglyworm

wigglyworm New commenter

Thank you for the kind words. I shall get stuck into the chocolate.
    ww

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Then you'll need this:
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com