1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - feeling guilty, was I wrong?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alexanderosman, Mar 20, 2012.

1. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Just spoken to a really nice lady from a supply agency, who is going to interview me and start checks with a view to working after Easter. I wasn't expecting her to call, so when she asked was I teaching at the moment I said yes. You may remember that I have left the school although I'm still technically employed there. So I arranged an appointment for the Easter holidays.
    Now I feel awful as I implied I was teaching full time when I've actually been at home. What do I do? I feel as if I should be honest but don't know if this is wise as I would then have to try to explain the situation, which I don't know how to do.
    Also she said she would contact my referees in advance of my appointment to speed things up. What if the head tells her I'm not there at the moment? Know it probably won't happen but worried in case it does.
    My impulse is to ring or email asap and apologise and say I wasn't clear that I haven't been in school since half term although I resigned to leave at Easter, but would this harm my chances of registering? Or should I just not mention it and hope the head just provides the agreed reference?
    [​IMG] Hate the situation all this has put me in.

2. alexanderosman

Just spoken to a really nice lady from a supply agency, who is going to interview me and start checks with a view to working after Easter. I wasn't expecting her to call, so when she asked was I teaching at the moment I said yes. You may remember that I have left the school although I'm still technically employed there. So I arranged an appointment for the Easter holidays.
    Now I feel awful as I implied I was teaching full time when I've actually been at home. What do I do? I feel as if I should be honest but don't know if this is wise as I would then have to try to explain the situation, which I don't know how to do.
    Also she said she would contact my referees in advance of my appointment to speed things up. What if the head tells her I'm not there at the moment? Know it probably won't happen but worried in case it does.
    My impulse is to ring or email asap and apologise and say I wasn't clear that I haven't been in school since half term although I resigned to leave at Easter, but would this harm my chances of registering? Or should I just not mention it and hope the head just provides the agreed reference?
    [​IMG] Hate the situation all this has put me in.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I am unable to reply tonight due to technical problems.

:-(

My apologies. Normal service will be resumed asap.

I hope!

:)

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My apologies for the tardy reply - although I am only supposed to reply 2 or 3 times a week, so actually it's not so very tardy.
    I would just let it go. I reckon that she meant to say, or even may have said "Are you currently employed as a teacher", in which case your answer is correct.
    Shouldn't happen, but if it does, you were on leave. So what?
    That is what should happen. The Head should provide the agreed reference, you should just not mention it.
    Best wishes

5. alexanderosman

Thanks Theo - I calmed down when I remembered she mentioned faxing for references, in which case she will just get a fax back.
    I still feel as if I ought to be as honest as I can and explain that I haven't been in school when I go for the interview - what do you think? Is it stupid of me to bring it up? Or do you think they would value my honesty? Is there any way I could get into trouble for not mentioning it?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not unless they come out and ask you and then you lie.
    If they ask, tell them. If they don't, don't.
    Q Could you give us an example of something that you've done in the last month that shows X and Y?
    A As I have been on leave since (?), I'll give you an example from 2 months ago.
    Best wishes

7. Then there is no problem! Future employers want a general reference based on what you've done at a particular place during a particular time period, so there is no way the agency will say to your referee. By the way, alexanderosman said he/she is still teaching at the moment but you tell me that he/she hasn't been in the building since half term. so are we being lied to then?
    Also, agencies and potential schools/colleges will only be interested in getting you in there and working asap. (agencies because you're their cash cow and schools/colleges because they're desperate for cover). They are honestly much more interested in whether you're qualified and experienced enough to do this and are CRB cleared asap, rather than worrying about petty technical details about whether you're teaching at the point of them interviewing you or not.
    Plus, what you do on annual leave is your business. If you're that concerned, you can always explain what you've told us at interview but it's nearly Easter anyway, so I really would stop stressing and giving yourself a hard time over this, and instead enjoy a breather before working elsewhere
    HTH and good luck!