1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear theo Feel like breaking down the door....

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ... and saying I know I am on M6, I know schools haven't much money, I know there are thousands of unemployed teachers, I know I am rubbish because I have to work at ASDA, I know I am rubbish because no one else will give me a job, I know I am rubbish because I had to do supply after relocating suddenlyBut for f!!!!s sake at least give me a shot instead of going throwing you arms in the air, screaming oh no (for the above reasons) and consigning my application to the bin.

2. Sorry for implied swear word - feeling pretty down at mo.

3. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

:(

Working at ASDA does not mean you are ****! All it means is that you need to earn money and that you have been able to secure alternative employment, you've had the courage to apply for a job outside of teaching that many might infer is below your qualifications - when really a job is a job at the moment. Have you thought about doing some private tutoring around your work at ASDA? It might be something you can do for the extra pennies AND more importantly you can use it to show schools you are still keeping up to date with your subject and teaching.

Life can really suck at times, check out what I posted in WC's thead and in the update one I started to see the fun and games I've had to deal with. The trick is to tell it to foxtrot oscar and get on with things.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I fully understand your frustration supplyslave, but you do need to listen to what moony has said.
    Yes, you're feeling down at present, but you do not know that your applications were consigned to the bin. It may be the school has a limited budget, they were overwhelmed with applicationsand yours just didn't 'jump out' at them. After all with a hundred applications it must be difficult to wean potentials from probables from possibles.
    You ARE NOT RUBBISH, because you are providing for yourself by having a job at ASDA rather than just sitting back doing nothing.You are doing the best you can under the present circumstances.
    You are hopefully building a work ethic, so when that job comes up you know how to turn up for work on time every day, put in the extra effort etc. which makes you a dependable employee.
    Hopefully the rant has got it out of your system and you can start again with the next application.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, so what does a school want you to do?
    • Starve?
    • Live off the tax-payer
    • Lounge around in bed most of the day and on the sofa watching Jeremy Kyle the rest of it?
    I think that a reasonable school would see that you actually have a work ethic and are determined to make your own way in life.
    I suggest that you tackle this in your application letter, and have a very short paragraph saying that you were forced to give up permanent post due to necessity to re-locate for fsamily reasons, supply work has almost completely dried up, so rather than wasting your time and the tax-payers' money, you have taken a job where, although you are not working with children, you are honing other skills that are part of an overall work ethic: reliability, team-work, self-reliance, initiative etc etc.
    Something along those lines to take the wind out of their sail, so to speak.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com