1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo Feedback from interview - adivce needed unsure of how to improve as feedback is woolie and basic. I am feeling low and lost- please help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Spice0012, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Hi Theo
    Last week I was floating on cloud nine, I worked my socks off writing my application forms and supprting statements for two international schools. I was over the moon to get a fabolous reponse to them both and offered interviews vis skype. I research each school and thought hard about my possible interview questions. <font face="Comic Sans MS"> </font>
    Sadly I didn't get either which has really dissapointed me as I put my heart and sole into the interviews. The feedback that i recieved I found to be confusing and rather 'woolie'. too be hanest the statement they provided seemed to be a general comment send to everyone. However they did say they all liked my personality and thought I would fit in to their school temas, <font face="Comic Sans MS">all praised me upon my enthusiasm and creativity, but stated that </font>
    ...... " due to the quality and quantity of the applications we received we are unable to offer you a post"
    I am an expereinced teacher with over 8 years primary expereince, young and eager, but now feel lost and unsure of how to improve on my interview techniques. I have emailed both schools back and asked for feedback, but still awaiting response.
    I have another interview vis skype this week and I really like this school and would like a chance at gaining this post, some how I need to stand out and be remembered but not quiet sure what I am missing, or not saying in response to their questions? . [​IMG]Please if anyone could offer some advice this would be most helpful.

Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I suggest that you do a search on this Forum for "feedback". you will see that the general views is that it's not worth tuppence.
    People say what they have to just to get it over and done with.
    Don't take it personally, they just clicked with another candidate.
    I have said it often enough: you can have 2 or 3 candidates all superb, and yet you go for one, but cannot really say why. It's a bit like falling in love - you just can't explain it!
    So put those behind you, re-read the Interview tips in the Welcome thread, look forward to the next interview, and remember that there's still 6 weeks for more job chances before you have to put your notice in.
    Very good luck for the next one!
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.