1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- fed up of interviews!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by annieroe, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I made the decision recently to move from my current school to London.
    I have had three interviews but have been left feeling jaded by the whole process.
    In the first interview (which went really well) the head said how well it had gone but they would let me know after the weekend. They then offered the job to someone with more experience.

The second interview (which was ok) the job was offered to a male teacher.

The third interview (which again was ok) was offered to the person before me (I actually heard the office staff discussing it whilst I was waiting to be interviwed. The job was offered to someone with more experience.

Basically I feel like I am doing all the right things with the applications, the interviews are going well (I've asked for feedback) but it seems that the schools didn't really want me in the first place and are just going through the process. Does that make sense?
    I'm getting really stressed about this and feel that I am never going to get anywhere.
    I would consider supplying but I'm a bit stuck at where to start.
    (I've have two years experience and lots of other skills too).
    Please help! :(

2. Dear Theo,
    I made the decision recently to move from my current school to London.
    I have had three interviews but have been left feeling jaded by the whole process.
    In the first interview (which went really well) the head said how well it had gone but they would let me know after the weekend. They then offered the job to someone with more experience.

The second interview (which was ok) the job was offered to a male teacher.

The third interview (which again was ok) was offered to the person before me (I actually heard the office staff discussing it whilst I was waiting to be interviwed. The job was offered to someone with more experience.

Basically I feel like I am doing all the right things with the applications, the interviews are going well (I've asked for feedback) but it seems that the schools didn't really want me in the first place and are just going through the process. Does that make sense?
    I'm getting really stressed about this and feel that I am never going to get anywhere.
    I would consider supplying but I'm a bit stuck at where to start.
    (I've have two years experience and lots of other skills too).
    Please help! :(

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Not quite sure what help it is that you are asking for!
    No, it doersn't make sense. Why should they put themselves through all the stress (it is stressful for the panel too) of interviewing someone that they don't want?
    They have selected you for interview because your application was promising.
    You haven't got the job because someone else beat you to it at interview. Sometimes the job is offered to a man, more often to a woman - look at the statistics! Sometimes it goes to someone with more experience, but very very often it goes to someone who is a NQT or on M2 or M3 - because they are cheaper.
    You need to do two things - and I know this is easier said than done!
    Aim 1: Produce a superb application, so that you are the preferred candidate even before they see you
    Aim 2: Prepare extremely well and practice your interview skills so that you wow them.
    So don't be in despair, don't give up: you are nearly there, honest!
    This thread might help you see a way to achieve these two aims above:
    Dear Theo- Applications and Interviews- Feel like I've hit a brick wall
    Best wishes

TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!