1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Failing to get an NQT position

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by BRockcliffe, Mar 25, 2012.

1. I graduated last year
    and I’ve spent the this year doing supply. I have secured a long term supply
    position till the end of the year but I would like my own class. I have failed
    to get an interview for the many positions I’ve applied for I always rewrite my
    personal statement for each school, I include a summery at the end but somehow
    I&rsquo;m still doing something wrong!! And I don&rsquo;t know what it is.</font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>Also on application
    forms it asked for the last two heads of schools I&rsquo;ve worked in so I give the
    current school I&rsquo;m at and my last teaching practice school. I know that one of
    the supply agencies had trouble with getting a reference from my last teaching
    practice with them not remembering who I am. Could this be the reason I&rsquo;m not
    getting interviews? What should I do as application forms ask for references
    from the most recent employers?</font>

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope that you're spelling it correctly as a summAry for a start . . .
    Frustrating for you - and I can't tell you long distance either . . . perhaps you need to e-mail Julia on advice@tes.co.uk and ask about the TES Application Review service, where one of my colleafgues looks at your letter for you.
    I doubt it, as most schools decide who to shortlist, and THEN ask for references, so they wouldn't know about the refusal to write a reference until after they had invited you to interview.
    However: there is an important point here: no-one should be giving as a referee someone unless they have discussed it with them and got their agreement. It seems to me from what you say (I might be wrong, mind you) that you have just put them down without this, and the school will be peeved at what they will think is gross discourtesy at putting them down without asking, I'm afraid.
    However, what you need to do now is get in touch with your course tutor for the PGCE and ask if you may put him/her down as a referee - that will be fine, even though they say employers. As a NQT you are expected to have your course tutor as a referee.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.

3. Why do we have to put our PGCE course tutor as a referree if we have been doing supply for the past how ever many months?
    I have been using the head of one of my regular supply schools and my main placement head teacher (with their permission of course) and the head of another of my regular supply schools has offered his services as a referree. All the tutor will do is use placement reports to write a reference whereas current heads will be writing about my current teaching which is far more relevant.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You don't have to!
    But in general PGCE students fresh from Uni do have to as they have no-one much else. In this specific case the poster has a problem with one reference, so I am suggesting that he asks his tutor. I add that it won't matter that it is not the last two employers as requested because as he is a NQT, the school will expect one - or both - not to be an employer, so it's not a problem.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.