1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Extra curricular interests advice

Discussion in 'Independent' started by greenfrog, Nov 12, 2011.

1. <font face="Times New Roman">I have just seen an advert for my dream job at a prep
    school and was hoping for advice with the following question. On the
    application form it states:</font>

Extra-curricular activities

Please give details (e.g. sports,
    music, outdoor pursuits) stating your level of experience and any
    qualifications.

and there is a an empty box
    underneath covering <u>one side</u> of A4. I was initially thinking more of my
    interests outside of school, but after trawling through some posts, I think I
    may have now seen the light and that this refers to extra-curricular activities
    in school. I was beginning to panic as although I have a hobbies outside of
    school &ndash; swimming, going to the theatre, choir member, walking in the
    countryside, reading for pleasure &ndash;

I have no qualifications as such or a particular level of experience. Please
    could you suggest how best to respond to this &lsquo;empty box&rsquo; and the sort of
    things an indy school may be looking for. Should I mention personal interests
    too of maybe stick to my involvement in wider school life?

2. <font face="Times New Roman">I have just seen an advert for my dream job at a prep
    school and was hoping for advice with the following question. On the
    application form it states:</font>

Extra-curricular activities

Please give details (e.g. sports,
    music, outdoor pursuits) stating your level of experience and any
    qualifications.

and there is a an empty box
    underneath covering <u>one side</u> of A4. I was initially thinking more of my
    interests outside of school, but after trawling through some posts, I think I
    may have now seen the light and that this refers to extra-curricular activities
    in school. I was beginning to panic as although I have a hobbies outside of
    school &ndash; swimming, going to the theatre, choir member, walking in the
    countryside, reading for pleasure &ndash;

I have no qualifications as such or a particular level of experience. Please
    could you suggest how best to respond to this &lsquo;empty box&rsquo; and the sort of
    things an indy school may be looking for. Should I mention personal interests
    too of maybe stick to my involvement in wider school life?

3. v12

v12

I think this is the 'what extra are you able to do for the children' box.
    Interests are great to list - but what could you offer as an extra-curricular activity?
    Here are a list of activities my Prep School offers:
    Music: Choirs, orchestra, string quartet, band, theory club.
    Boys' Sports: (Seasonal) Rugby, Hockey and Cricket
    Girls' Sports: (Seasonal) Netball, Hockey and Rounders
    Summer Sports: Gym and athletics
    Swimming Squad
    Tennis (indoor courts)
    Bridge/board games/croquet (Summer)
    Chess
    Art Attack
    Chess
    Drama
    Gardening Club
    Horse-riding and Golf (costs extra - off site)
    Extra Latin
    Supervised Prep Sessions.

If you have particularly good skills at, say, touch typing or needlework or gardening or are interested in calligraphy, I'm sure the school would love to expand their clubs to include them. I think you've just got to sell yourself and not be shy of using your imagination and passion for your particular skills and interests.
    Good Luck!

4. jarndyce

jarndyce Occasional commenter

You could assist with running the swimming team, would like to organise local theatre visits, are delighted to assist with music particularly the school choir, and intend to start a book club and a nature club.

...though you might also like to eat lunch once in a while.

5. v12

v12

We're not encouraged to run lunch-time activities as the Headmaster likes the children to have the hour to play and unwind before the afternoon's lessons.
    Our activities therefore run during two 40-minute periods after school each day.
    Depending on age, the children are expected to sign up for a certain number of clubs per week (otherwise some of them become unviable) - and be committed to these clubs for at least one term.
    The staff are also expected to run, or be involved in, a minimum number of clubs during the week - I think it's 3 sessions, although many of us do more (because we enjoy running the clubs we'd be doing as hobbies anyway, I suppose).

6. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Excellent advice above, and I'd just like to add that you shouldn't worry too much about "qualifications". Obviously, a life-saving certificate is important for swimming and a first-aid certificate can be useful for outdoor pursuits, but don't hesitate to put down something seemingly modest such as "Grade 5 flute" if you are offering to help with music, and don't worry that the only requirement for many co-curricular activities is enthusiasm rather than certification.
    Also, remember to include things that you may have done that you might not consider "extra curricular" - willingness to help others to take a group to the theatre or a museum, or even on an overseas trip, will always go down well (and can be great fun, not least since most prep school kids are well-behaved on such ventures).

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Have a look at their website and see what things they already offer.
    Which could you join in? And what things that they don't do could you offer to start - as the others say, its keenness not qualifications that count (except for things like mountaineering etc where H&S requires certification).
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars