1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Extensive person specification & executive summary.

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lCatherinel, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Dear Theo and all, I'm in the process of writing my latest application. Having done really well perfecting the art of the executive summary I have hit a stumbling block with the latest one.

This job has over 20 bullet points on its person specification. So far I have done as suggested in the clickables but since the person specification is so long and each bullet not easy to summarise in a smaller bullet point, I can't see how I can fit a well tailored answer with "your requirements" and "my experience" in on one page.

I know some of their points are covered extensively in my letter of application ("enjoy working with young people") and some of these points are difficult to summarise on an application ("understand current and forthcoming educational issues") so I'm not sure what is best.

So, Theo, in the format you prefer, :)
    1) Should I cherry pick those that I haven't covered extensively in my letter or not take anything as given and cover as much as possible?
    2) What is the smallest font I should use that won't really annoy anyone trying to read it?
    3) Would it be better to use their sub-headings as the "your requirements" section and then bullet point my qualities/experience matching them up to the person spec? If none of the above, what should I do? Thanks again!!

2. Dear Theo and all, I'm in the process of writing my latest application. Having done really well perfecting the art of the executive summary I have hit a stumbling block with the latest one.

This job has over 20 bullet points on its person specification. So far I have done as suggested in the clickables but since the person specification is so long and each bullet not easy to summarise in a smaller bullet point, I can't see how I can fit a well tailored answer with "your requirements" and "my experience" in on one page.

I know some of their points are covered extensively in my letter of application ("enjoy working with young people") and some of these points are difficult to summarise on an application ("understand current and forthcoming educational issues") so I'm not sure what is best.

So, Theo, in the format you prefer, :)
    1) Should I cherry pick those that I haven't covered extensively in my letter or not take anything as given and cover as much as possible?
    2) What is the smallest font I should use that won't really annoy anyone trying to read it?
    3) Would it be better to use their sub-headings as the "your requirements" section and then bullet point my qualities/experience matching them up to the person spec? If none of the above, what should I do? Thanks again!!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good on you! (And I prefer not OSFTED, too [​IMG] - that made me laugh!)
    Q1 Not a good idea to make the exec summ a fill-in for what's not in your letter, as it should stsnd alone as a summary of why they should want you.
    Q2 You can get away with - let me just check a couple of examples - Calibri 10 looks neat and readable for exec summ - but not for the letter.
    Q3 That's possible, if it works well with your examples
    Q un-numbered [​IMG] You could also omit things that are really taken for granted are on your app form - qualifications in particular. The exception here is a degree in Physics for teaching Physics, which is such a plus point you must include it.
    Best wishes

4. Dear Theo, Firstly, apologies for the Mac eating the paragraphs.

Thank you for the tip about Calibri 10. It's helping to squeeze everything onto my Executive Summary. But it's still too long!

However, following on from Catherine's post, I am facing a person specification of 41 separate points. Disregarding those about qualifications and personal qualities - and those I hope can be taken for granted - I am left with 29 long bullet points that take up a page and a half. As it is supposed to stand alone, how can this be condensed?! I think I have covered everything in the Supporting Statement so I wouldn't be using it as a substitute.

So, my question is:

Can I choose which points to include in the Executive Summary as they are all covered in the main application?

I hope you succeeded with your last application, Catherine. Thank you, Theo.