1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - explaining why I quit my first post

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by paradoxical, Jun 12, 2011.

1. I completed my Maths PGCE in 2009 very successfully, went for the first job that came up that year, and got it. However, I left this job within a couple of weeks in September, as I was very unhappy there. I got back into schools in January 2010 with the one-to-one scheme and intervention work (and I have had exceptional feedback from pupils and staff), but am now wanting to get back into full time teaching.

My problem is that I have applied for 7 jobs this year, got 5 interviews, but lost out. A few have been given to candidates with more experience, which softens the blow a llittle, but I am sure it is the situation with my previous job that is making things difficult for me. All the feedback from interviews has been very positive, with the only criticism being that I am perhaps 'too enthusiastic.' My previous jobs are listed in my application...so I would expect that if it was was a problem they would simply discard my application and not give me an interview.

I have applied for a few more jobs this week, and if I get interviews for them, I am keen to make sure that my situation does not hinder me. I am usually asked about what happened regarding my first post, and thus far, I have been very honest and stated that I found the school difficult especially as they employed a large number of Maths NQTs that year. I emphasise that it was not a case of 'just having a bad day' and that after speaking to the Headteacher, it was better for the continuity of the pupils that I left when I did instead of working til the end of term.
    I also turn my situation into a positive, explaining how the past 2 years has given me incredible experience that makes me a much stronger NQT etc etc.

Headteachers have said that I have answered the tough question well, but I still think this is a big issue in their decision. I have been tempted just to say I left for personal reasons that are no longer an issue, but I'm worried that that would make it look like I am trying to hide something and would go against me even more!
    I just want to shout 'please believe me, I will not quit and I am not a risk...in fact I am less of a risk that any other NQT because I know if I leave this job I will never get another teaching job again!'

Your advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Argh, no paragraphs! Will try and rewrite with spaces!

I completed my Maths PGCE in 2009 very successfully, went for the first job that came up that year, and got it. However, I left this job within a couple of weeks in September, as I was very unhappy there. I got back into schools in January 2010 with the one-to-one scheme and intervention work (and I have had exceptional feedback from pupils and staff), but am now wanting to get back into full time teaching.

My problem is that I have applied for 7 jobs this year, got 5 interviews, but lost out. A few have been given to candidates with more experience, which softens the blow a llittle, but I am sure it is the situation with my previous job that is making things difficult for me.

All the feedback from interviews has been very positive, with the only criticism being that I am perhaps 'too enthusiastic.' My previous jobs are listed in my application...so I would expect that if it was was a problem they would simply discard my application and not give me an interview.

I have applied for a few more jobs this week, and if I get interviews for them, I am keen to make sure that my situation does not hinder me. I am usually asked about what happened regarding my first post, and thus far, I have been very honest and stated that I found the school difficult especially as they employed a large number of Maths NQTs that year. I emphasise that it was not a case of 'just having a bad day' and that after speaking to the Headteacher, it was better for the continuity of the pupils that I left when I did instead of working til the end of term. I also turn my situation into a positive, explaining how the past 2 years has given me incredible experience that makes me a much stronger NQT etc etc.

Headteachers have said that I have answered the tough question well, but I still think this is a big issue in their decision. I have been tempted just to say I left for personal reasons that are no longer an issue, but I'm worried that that would make it look like I am trying to hide something and would go against me even more!

I just want to shout 'please believe me, I will not quit and I am not a risk...in fact I am less of a risk that any other NQT because I know if I leave this job I will never get another teaching job again!'

Your advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Google chrome, a mobile device, or anything Mac, does this. Eats them.
    Good gracious!
    Now to your issue.
    I think that perhaps not being a sticker, rather than the actual reason for leaving, could be the issue. To leave within just a few weeks . . .
    I wonder did you, in your honest answer, alsp address this point? What you have leraned about not giving in at the first little thing? Or even the first pile of things! I think that you need to consider this aspect of it and talk about how you have moved on from this, to reassure them.
    Having said that, 5 interviews and not getting the job, at an average of 5-6 candidates, doesn't seem to me to be that bad.
    You're the mathematician - you tell me how this pans out, statistically!
    Good luck for next time.
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. Thanks for your prompt reply - I'll definitely put those points in. I know I'm not doing badly and hopefully the perfect job is round the corner with staff that appreciate my 'over-enthusiasm'!

5. Would it not be better if the person writing knew how to compose paragraphs, rather than relying on software to do this for them?
    also
    learned

Yes, I do agree with Theo, it may seem to the heads that you are too much of a risk because you might leave at the drop of a hat, if something was to occur.

6. ''Would it not be better if the person writing knew how to compose paragraphs, rather than relying on software to do this for them?''
    Clearly, the OP did compose the paragraphs, but the software they used does not recognise them. In which case, your rude and arrogant comment was completely unneccessary.

7. "Would it not be better if the person writing knew how to compose paragraphs, rather than relying on software to do this for them?"
    Yes, I am fully aware of how to compose paragraphs (you may refer to this new paragraph as an example). I am also capable of deciphering a couple of simple typos that were clearly made because Theo may not have the time to check every single letter in his numerous responses. But thanks for all your help. [​IMG]

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wade, Paradoxical - don't mind Harry, he's just upset because I picked up on the errors here:
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/495827.aspx?PageIndex=1
    I'm sure he didn't mean to be such a crosspatch.
    Best of luck to you all - people will be getting jobs from now until the end of term, and you could be among them.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!