1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - executive summary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by TheoGriff, Sep 13, 2011.

1. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Cor, I hope your application is in a bigger font - can hardly manage to read this with my old eyes!
    I am very pkeased to see that you are taking such a sensible and organised approach to the applications you are doing. This bodes well!
    Now let's look at a few points:
    Yes, indeed. A summary is just that - it is summarises. So you may have some or many of the same things, but very, very condensed. Summarised in fact. Overall the E.S. should be just one page. In, er, a sensible font size please!
    No, please don't! I really hate it when someone expects you to juggle different pieces of paper to get the full picture. So please don't ever put: See letter or See CV or See Form or See Anything, anywhere on your application.
    Your example needs to be summarised something like this:
    Practitioner with effective strategies to meet needs of all pupils
    And your evidence will be one of the following:
    2 years successful teaching KS2
    (Put the right figure in!)
    Or:
    Successful placements in KS1 and KS2
    Very short. Very brief. Very summarised! This should therefore in no way undermine your application letter or statement.
    If you feel you'd like more help on executive summaries, then perhaps think about coming to one of our Application seminars. Just given details in this answer:
    Dear Theo et al
    Or even, even, book a personal meeting with me some time in October . . .
    Best wishes.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!

2. Theo - thats fantastic thank you! Your example makes it really clear, I can now go back and cover all the points on their person spec.
    Sorry about the font, I think its because I copy and pasted the quote from the person spec, my posts (and certainly my applications!) don't normally look like that.
    Tills

3. I mentioned to my head that i'm doing executive summary in preparation for a new job, but he looked at me as if I had just made it up! He asked me what I had said, then said he'd never even heard of one. He told me not to bother as he's never seen a candidate include one. I'm very confused. Our school had appointed staff every year since i've been there so she must be telling the truth...???

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yep!
    Schools don't ask for them or expect them, but when they actually get one among a crowd of applications, they certainly notice and appreciate them!
    Please take Theo's advice!
    The benefit of an executive summary
    taking Theo's Advice
    read theo's advice and do the executive summary people, it really does work, seriously!!!!
    Good luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October seminars - see you there!