1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Executive Summary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Lilybett, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Haha I'm REALLY sorry to have been such a major pain today!!!
    I have never ignored your advice and have looked through the Welcome Thread before, but to be honest, I kind of thought Exec Summaries were for leadership and stuff. So I should do an executive summary instead of a personal statement? The council application forms give two pages for a 'Statement In Support of Your Application'. I use these pages to go through the person spec and create a statement which tries to answer it, point-by-point. Although, of course, because it's a statement, it's much more long-winded and you couldn't glance at it and say, 'ah, yes'. But because it's long, I can describe lessons or planning or whatever to illustrate how I can do what they're asking for. Should I instead be using the shorter form of the Exec Summar here? I'm so so so so confused. If it asks for a statement, are bullet points an' that acceptable? Or should the Exec Summary be as well as the app (including statement) and cover letter? But then surely the exec sum would just be a condensed regurgitation of the personal statement? Or is that the point? Sorry to be stupid but I'm so confused.
    Many thanks x

2. Haha I'm REALLY sorry to have been such a major pain today!!!
    I have never ignored your advice and have looked through the Welcome Thread before, but to be honest, I kind of thought Exec Summaries were for leadership and stuff. So I should do an executive summary instead of a personal statement? The council application forms give two pages for a 'Statement In Support of Your Application'. I use these pages to go through the person spec and create a statement which tries to answer it, point-by-point. Although, of course, because it's a statement, it's much more long-winded and you couldn't glance at it and say, 'ah, yes'. But because it's long, I can describe lessons or planning or whatever to illustrate how I can do what they're asking for. Should I instead be using the shorter form of the Exec Summar here? I'm so so so so confused. If it asks for a statement, are bullet points an' that acceptable? Or should the Exec Summary be as well as the app (including statement) and cover letter? But then surely the exec sum would just be a condensed regurgitation of the personal statement? Or is that the point? Sorry to be stupid but I'm so confused.
    Many thanks x

3. I'm sure the advice is to do a personal statement and executive summary, thats what I've been doing anyway.

Ex Summary - short, concise points bullet form or a few words under each section is fine.

4. Also, how do you do an Exec Sum when there's no Person Spec or any other kind of info for applicants? Just use those few bullet points off the job ad? Because in those situations, I just do a kind of general statement, loosely based around what the ad said...?
    Someonelikeme: thanks so much for your reply, am in a reet tiz! So, your Exec Sum runs alongside and is basically a bullet-point version of your personal statement? Haha Goddd! If there is any profession out there with a more complex application process, I want to hear about it! [​IMG] x

5. For the job I'm applying for first, there is a person spec and letter to applicants. On the letter it says the successful candidate will be ........ and there's a bullet pointed list. Stuff like, "able to demonstrate strong committment to aims and ethos of school" and "able to organise a high quality classroom environment and learning opps which will stimulate independent learning and meet the individual needs of the pupils" but surely this is way too wordy for the Exec Sum! Should I use these wordy bullet points to structure my cover letter?
    I am so so so confused I could cry. There are 30 points on the person spec. How can I possibly get all of them onto one sheet of A4? [​IMG]

6. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

There was a question like this recently and <u>Theo</u> said this:
    "You can omit some things that are pretty clear from your form - your qualifications, for example, unless you have something extra special like a Class I in Physics for a Sci post. You can also show that you have a sense of priorities by leaving out less important things. You can often group several things under one point. You can usually make your evidence briefer."
    I grouped things in my last ES and I didn't write full sentences, I left out the "I..." bit at the beginning e.g. "Experience of running extra-curricular clubs KS3-5" - it's not going to be written like your letter so you won't need to be as "wordy" and you can cut down their spec points to be more concise as well
    Instead, you can write "committed to school ethos" and then put your evidence on your other side.
    Hope this helps!

7. Well, for your second example you could just put things like 'experience setting up engaging displays, using learning objectives based on prior assessment and differentiating tasks to meet the needs of the class'. Well that is what I do anyway, especially for points like 'an excellent classroom practitioner'. And I always miss out the personal qualities section of any person spec which makes it shorter. Group team working ones together, assessessment ones together etc. Is that any help?
    Oh and I sometimes go over A4 if they have also done that with their points, especially if I am putting the executive summary in the form where it asks for you to show how you meet the person spec. In tis example I

8. Ahhh, thank you! So it is to be based on the person spec! Okay. [​IMG]
    But... what is it based on when there is no person spec? xxx

9. Thank you thank you for replying! xxx
    I think I get it. Use person spec to write personal statement; use it again to write exec sum.
    But have got a job in my 'to apply for' pile with no person spec or any other info for applicants. Bit baffled 'bout what to do there! [​IMG]

10. lighthouse_keeper

This happened to me and I just went through their website and looked at what they seemed to value. Then as a title I didn't write "your requirements" I wrote something like "an effective teacher" - this takes longer but shows that you have really researched the school I guess!

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

So, just so you are clear:
    Read all the clickables inside the Welcome thread - the FAQs explain the difference between some of the things.
    You should send:
    • an application form with every bit filled in, no "See letter"
    • an application letter OR personal statement. Not both but certainly one of them.
    • a cover letter ONLY if you do a personal statement. See FAQs inside the Welcome thread
    • an
      Executive summary. If there's a space on the form, put it in there; if
      not, put it at the end of your letter so that it gets printed out
      automatically.
    Best wishes to you all!

I
    do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and often contribute to the
    Job Application Seminar Workshops. We look at application letters,
    executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people
    really appreciate.

See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

Look forward to seeing you!

12. Wicked. Thank you so much! xxx

13. I have no idea what happened to my last post- I did try to edit it!
    If there is no person spec I either base it on points from the job description or just really personalise the letter, referring to the school lots and researching from their website/OFSTED etc.

14. lighthouse_keeper

Sorry I posted a message but it has disappeared!
    You'll have to go carefully through the info pack and if that does not give much help then you could use the website and find out what you think they value, then instead of "your requirements" you can write "an effective teacher" or something like that - I had to do this for one application. If you've taken time to find out what you think they are looking for, that can only look good I think!

15. lighthouse_keeper

Sorry I did not realise my original message had worked! It told me it had disappeared. Ah well! Hope you feel clearer now :) Good luck with it!!!

16. Okay. God, can't believe I ain't been doing exec sums all this time! Hope it's a charm.
    Thank you all so so very very much xxx

17. lighthouse_keeper

It really seems to work - every interview I got was on the back of an ES. When I was applying for jobs 2 years ago, I didn't use it (didn't read this forum - what a mistake!) I sent off so many applications and not one single reply - so in my experience, no ES, no interview opportunity, and I then ended up staying in my job 2 extra years!