1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Executive summary works- I have an interview

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by gleam2000, May 11, 2010.

1. gleam2000

gleam2000 New commenter

Hello,
    I just wanted to reassure anyone who is wavering over whether to include an executive summary that they really do work.
    I have just got an interview for Friday and the Head commented on the extremely clear way in which I had tailored my application to the school's requirements and person spec. I believe that this is down to Theo's advice to include an executive summary would urge all you jobseekers to include one in your applications.[​IMG]
    I'll keep you posted on how the interview goes. I have to teach for 30 mins and give a presentation, as well as interview. I'm sorting out my lesson plan this evening!
    Gleam2000 [​IMG]

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Best of luck!

3. Rainbows23

Rainbows23 New commenter

Good Luck!

what is an executive summary?

4. pussycat

pussycat New commenter

Very best of luck! You have clearly already made a great impression. Have just used an es for the first time in an application....now waiting very nervously!

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, I know, i keep on telling you lot that!
    what is an executive summary?
    What? What? Open the Welcome thread and read the Shortlisting clickables, they'll explain all.
    Good luck to Gleam, who is busy reading the Interview clickables, I hope!

6. gleam2000

gleam2000 New commenter

It's been ages and I've been busy so I forgot to comment on this post. Guess what?
    I GOT THE JOB! [​IMG]
    When I had my feedback from the interview, the Head commented again on how well I'd tailored my application to their person specification. It's that super-duper executive summary that does it.
    Thanks Theo for your words of wisdom again this year.

Gleam2000

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gleam - well done there!
    Glad the exec summary worked the trick to show the school just how great you are.
    Now do a Dear theo I got the job thread to get your star. It encourages other posters if you do.

8. Theo
    I've tried finding the original thread on exec summaries but cant find it - please help?

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Up
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

. * * * WARNING * * *

No, you should NOT ask for personal statements, application letters or executive summaries from someone else.
    Nor should you show yours to other people.
    In many areas, applications are being put through plagiarism software similar to that used by UCAS, to identify applicants who have "borrowed" other people's documents.
    So that they can be rejected.
    You must always WRITE YOUR OWN.
    Sorry.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    I am timetabled for the October 22nd Win that teaching Job seminar. I look forward to seeing you there!

11. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo beat me to to it.
    It's generally not a good idea to copy other's ideas, after all teaching is a 'creative' job and also not to post your e-mail on an open forum.

12. Mmm, I see what you mean Theo thanks. Cool there's a seminar, now that's what I need , Hopefully see you at the seminar :)