1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Executive Summary question

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by mlowrie, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I've read elsewhere in your posts that the Executive Summary should be a page long. The problem I am having is that a lot of the person specs I am seeing are well over that in length, so by the time I have entered my evidence that I meet their requirements ( as briefly as I can), it starts to hit 2 pages, which is what most schools request for the personal statement/ supporting letter. What would you recommend as the best approach in dealing with lengthy person specs?
    Thanks in advance!

2. lighthouse_keeper

lighthouse_keeper New commenter

Group points together where you can, paraphrase their specification if it will make it more concise, keep your answers brief and to the point. It should not read like a letter, which is what keeps it different to your supporting statement. I do mine without using "I" e.g. "considerable experience of ...." rather than "I have considerable experience of..." etc. If you've got 20 points or more, then dropping the "I" bit actually keeps it much briefer - and it is only a summary, so that style works (it did for me - everytime I used my ES I got interviews).
    If you have done all of this and it still hits two pages, so be it. I applied for a job that had a very lengthy person spec, and had both "essential" and "desirable" criteria. I made sure I grouped where I could, then filled out every box, and found I went on to a second page. I still got an interview (and got the job!)
    Just be concise and I think going onto a second page will be ok. Better that than one page with tiny font or not making the points which show them that you are the best candidate!
    Hope this helps
    Lighthouse keeper

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Some good points there from LightHouse.
    But if possible, I would keep it to one side.
    Not because there is any rule, but quite simply that the whole point of an E.S. is that it is an At-A-Glance summary - and if you have to look at a second page you rather spoil that!
    You can omit some things that are pretty clear from your form - your qualifications, for example, unless you have something extra special like a Class I in Physics for a Sci post. You can also show that you have a sense of priorities by leaving out less important things. You can often group several things under one point. You can usually make your evidence briefer.
    And you must always leave out Sense of Humour!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Always avoid this!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

5. Thank you both - very helpful as ever!