1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo: Executive Summary Help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by nikkstar, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi TheoGriff

I'm just finishing off my application and have come a bit unstuck at the executive summary. I have two questions:

1) The person specification is quite long (a page and a half). Is it ok to make the summary more than one page?

2) I'm also sending an application form, CV and letter of application. I have checked with the school and they do want all three. Will the school want an executive summary as well?

All advice gratefully received.

Thank You!

2. Hi TheoGriff

I'm just finishing off my application and have come a bit unstuck at the executive summary. I have two questions:

1) The person specification is quite long (a page and a half). Is it ok to make the summary more than one page?

2) I'm also sending an application form, CV and letter of application. I have checked with the school and they do want all three. Will the school want an executive summary as well?

All advice gratefully received.

Thank You!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Q1 No, keep it to one side.
    If there is an enormous long list of criteria, you need to do several things:
    a) prioritise. What stuff is also on the application form (eg qualifications). Ditch. What things are going to be most important to school: Keep. What things are minor points: Ditch.
    b) condense. They may have a full sentnce or two - you cut this down to 3 or 4 words
    c) combine. Are there a few that could be condensed and stuck onto another one?
    d) omit - ones you don't fit at all. Where, for example, you contribute but not lead, change their wording from lead to contribute and then use that. If you don't even contribute, then take it out alltogether.
    Best wishes
    2) I assume that this is not a maintained school in England or Wales, where the statutory guidance is not to ask for CVs? But do send the executive summary too. If they don't like it, they can bin it.
    But i bet that they are intrigued and pleased.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25thwww.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes

4. Thank you for all your help. I have now posted the application. Let's just hope it results in an interview. Fingers crossed.

Oh, and it was and independent. It was lucky I had a CV tucked away for such emergencies.

5. Oh dear. I meant to say: I have now posted the application.