1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Executive Summary help

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Keep.calm.and.carry.on, Feb 21, 2011.

1. I am currently completing an executive summary for a primary NQT job. I am finding it very useful as a way to begin to write my statement, however I am a little unsure on a few of their requirements.

(1.) How many bullet points do you put for my experience. On some of their requirements I can think of a few examples from my range of experiences with children, but on some I can only think of one example.

(2.) I'm not sure how to summarise this... 'ability to be flexible, share expertise and responsibility'. I have been working on supply since September and have just finished a 4 week block of teaching. The parallel class teacher said that [blushing] I have been a joy to work with and have given her lots of ideas. But not sure how to put this into my summary in a bullet point.

(3.) 'A commitment to undertake and lead CPD at school in general' How would I answer this? There are two jobs advertised and it says the jobs would suit an NQT and a more experienced teacher. I have attended staff meetings while on placements but since working on supply I haven't had the opportunity to take part in any CPD.

(4) 'Experience of implementing and evaluating individual planning and review for pupils, in accordance with the Code of Practice'. Again not sure how to answer this one?

(5) Finally....I have been looking at the person specification for my summary, but a job description is also attached, does this need to be summarised? I am already trying to cut down the exec summary I'm currently working on down to one page.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there - looks as though you are on Google Chrome, it eats the paragraphs!
    Q1 You need to keep it to 1 page. 1 or 2 will be fine - it's just giving proof/evidence that you comply
    Q2 Flexibility and team work in the LH column, then in the RH column: Parallel class teacher Y4 has commended me for this
    Q3 ... Q4 .... No, no - I shall be writing the whole thing for you if I go on! You know that I don't write applications for people...
    Q5 If there is one or two points from Job spec where you feel that you shine, add them. But otherwise, just stick to the person spec.
    Best wishes.
    The next Applications Workshop I'm doing that still has vacancies is on Friday 25th February. www.tesweekendworkshop15.eventbrite.com

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for more details of how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!