1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo- executive summary for a TA job?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Gsr25, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

I'm looking at applying for another TA role. Last time I applied for a TA job I didn't even get an interview and I was pretty devastated and I am wondering whether I went wrong with my personal statement or because they probably had so many people apply they looked at what stood out.
    This role is for a quite specific area of learning which I am quite experienced in (I won't say what for confidentiality reasons) so I really want to sell myself. Is it advisable to do an ES or too much?
    Many thanks in advance!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, an ES is good in an application for any post! I have helped friends get all sorts of jobs using an E.S.

Here are some links that may be helpful:

Warning!

I have created links to these articles, but have not yet been able to go into them and check/change any internal links. So some internal links may no longer work on nu-TES.

Why you should always include an E.S. in an application

How to get shortlisted for a teaching job *** The basic advice***

How NOT to get shortlisted

Common errors found in applications

Who should be my referees?

Can I see my references?

Step-by-step: How to write an E.S. *** More basic advice ***

Executive summaries - where to start when no person specification

Person Spec too long - how do I do an E.S.? And where do I put it? *** Beginners start here ***

Best wishes!

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

4. Gsr25

Thank you so much Theo, I will look through those later.

5. Gsr25

Also do I need to do a covering letter also? And is the ES mainly to highlight my applications?

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, you do need a letter of application too.

The E.S. is to show them that you meet their requirements. Do read the link articles, they will tell you what to do!

7. Gsr25

Thanks Theo, I found producing an ES relatively simple and have done a covering letter. It's just the format of the personal statement I'm not sure on as I think I tend to waffle!

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh, do be careful! A covering letter and a personal statement . . . that could be over-doing it, unless you really do mean a covering letter which just says:

Dear Dr Griff

Post of Teaching Assistant in Greengates School

I wish to apply for the above post and enclose my completed application form, supporting statement and summary.

Yours sincerely,

Ms Gsr25

That's it!

Best wishes

9. Gsr25

Yep that's pretty much all it says! I know there can be some confusion about a letter of application and a covering letter.
    Thanks again.

10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Great, well done!

Good luck