1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo, Executive summary and personal statements

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by samj88, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Dear Theo,
    I am an NQT and have been reading your application advice and it all sounds extremely useful! However i am just slightly confused.
    I understand that I need to send an application statement which relates my experience to their person specification. However, I want to send an executive summary in also, is this instead of a personal statement or as well as? Within my personal statement I am writing why I am applying for the post, my experience and skills and my vision for promoting high standards. but the more i read on here the more i feel that this is not necessary, is this a longer version of an executive summary??
    Sorry I am just slightly confused and do not want to send in too many sheets. So far it would be....
    1) The application form
    2) Covering letter (saying what i have enclosed)
    3) an executive summary
    4) Personal Statement
    5) application Statement.

I know this is a lot! That is why I am confused.
    Thank you for your help!!! [​IMG]
    Sam

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Theo is supposed to be on holiday at present, but have you tried looking at the pinned thread at the top of this fourum where Theo has put some useful advice
    Welcome - Jobseeking FAQs - Apply and get shortlisted - Interview tips and questions.
    How to get shortlisted
    Jobseeking FAQs
    I think (only my understanding though) that your suggestion of
    1) The application form
    2) Covering letter (saying what I have enclosed)
    3) an executive summary
    4) Personal Statement
    5) application Statement
    is too much as they overlap information and you don't want prospective employers to have too many pages to wade through. look at Theo's hints and check back for other posts which have been answered before as this is a frequent question.
    Best of luck with the application!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

What do the posts ask for?

I only get to send an application form here, but on there is space for a personal statement.

If I email mine, so I send a short covering letter in the body of the email and attach an application form and exec summary as two attachments.

If I apply through the LA website I put the exec summary at the end of the personal statement part of the form. Or I will do when I apply this way for a post, haven't actually done so yet.

4. shughesbio88

shughesbio88 New commenter

This does sound like loads,
    I would include the application form (personal statement I would put on the space in the form), executive summary and letter of application (application statement there).
    The covering letter bit (where you say what you've enclosed) I put in the email. I address the email to the head, thank them for their time and consideration and point out what I have enclosed here. If you are applying by post, I would put that in the first paragraph of you application letter, as if only takes 2 or 3 lines and you aren't giving them an extra sheet of paper to wonder about.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I have written a reply to a similar O.P., but since there are now several other posts on this thread, I´ll just sum up.
    Your application will normally include:

1. An application form
    2. NOT a CV, unless for international post or some Indy schools
    3. A letter of application OR a personal statement - NOT BOTH.
    4. A covering letter ONLY if you don´t send a letyter of application. NOT BOTH.
    5. An exec summary. If there is room on the Other information section of the app form, put it in there. If there isn´t, make it the third page of your letter of application or personal statement, so that it gets printed out automatically.
    Exactly what should go into a good application, and practice ast writing exec summaries, we cover in the Job Seminars.
    Best wishes
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

6. Thank you all for your help!

The post asks for the application form, a supporting statement and relevant CDP fromt he previous two years.
    For this reason and from Theos advice I feel that i need to include:
    1) Application form
    2) supporting statement including a table of my relevant CDP training
    3) executive summary
    and include a short covering letter stating what i have included and thanking them for their time, does this sound fine?

Thank you!