1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Executive statement

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by butterfly1206, Feb 14, 2012.

1. butterfly1206

butterfly1206 New commenter

Dear Theo,
    I have three questions regarding the executive summary:
    1) Should this be written in the same font style as the application form?
    2) Is Tahoma 10 too small a font size?
    3) Should the points written for each criteria match that written within the supporting statement or can these be different?

Thanks in advance,
    Butterfly1206

2. FollyFairy

FollyFairy Occasional commenter

I can't answer all of the above, but my advice (after reading the Comic Sans thread) is make sure whatever font you chose looks professional - TNR is widely recommended. From what I can remember from past posts, ES should be no more than 1 page, clearly set out, matching your qualifications/skills etc with the criteria of job description. Check the FAQ too in Theo's introductory thread for more advice on ES.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Love the numbers - thank you!
    Q1 Not necessarily. Some Junior Schools automatically use Comic Sans (shudder) for all their documentation - I think all other fonts have been surgically removed. You should aim for the professional approach.
    Q2 I've just pulled up a summary and changed the font. Tahoma 10 is too small. Tahoma 10.5 just about OK, Tahoma 11 better.
    But Tahoma 11 too small for the letter.
    Q3 No, not necessarily so. It doesn't matter if they are the same, but you may have bigger examples to write about in full sentences in the statement/latter. Don't forget thatt he summary is not in full sentences!
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.comwww.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com