1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - Exec Summary

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Clarys, May 30, 2011.

1. Ok you've probably been asked this before BUT I can't find the answer.
    Many application packs ask you to fill in the application form and include a letter/supporting statement of not more than 2 sides A4. They also include wording to the effect of 'CVs will not be accepted'. So my question is this, If I include an exec summary in an application where it says all of the above will it result in my app being binned for not following their instructions? Or as the HT who posted about exec summaries said, is it actually a really useful tool that HT's would consider if they were to see them being used more?

2. Ok you've probably been asked this before BUT I can't find the answer.
    Many application packs ask you to fill in the application form and include a letter/supporting statement of not more than 2 sides A4. They also include wording to the effect of 'CVs will not be accepted'. So my question is this, If I include an exec summary in an application where it says all of the above will it result in my app being binned for not following their instructions? Or as the HT who posted about exec summaries said, is it actually a really useful tool that HT's would consider if they were to see them being used more?

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

I advise, if there is a whole page on the application form headed Additional information (or something similiar) putting the E.S. in there.
    If not, put it at the end of the letter (making it page 3, but no page numbering) so it gets printed out automatically. Once they've seen it, my experience is that they are delighted!
    I can give no guarantees, of course, but the many Heads that I meet professionally are always very impressed with E.S., and governors just love them! If you are worried, then send it as a separate document so your letter is not 3 pages long. It is not a CV in any shape or form, so you cannot be penalised for that.
    Besides, a school that would be so daft as to reject an outstanding application on those grounds is perhaps not worth working for . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    www.tesweekendworkshop29.eventbrite.com
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

4. I don't know if this helps Theo but in my recent applications I wrote on my application letter/letter with additional information please find enclosed: this letter of application (or whatever the school called it), an executive summary to show how I meet the person spec for <insert school name> and the application form.
    This process gained me interviews at 4 of the schools I applied for. I contacted two others where I did not get an interview (I knew one of the heads) and she told me that it had been thrown out at shortlisting even though it was a strong application because I had sent 3 sides of A4 (letter and exec summary) not the requested 2 so they had decided I had not followed the instructions so to put me through would have meant it was not a level playing field. I spoke to a friend of mine who applied to the same school and didn't get an interview either using the same approach (that said everyone they interviewed were just finishing PGCE/BEd and were young so expect they were looking for someone to mold - hidden agendas and all that LOL)
    The second I contacted (spoke to the bursar) said that they had requested no CVs so they had not even considered the exec summary as they only consider the application form and letter of application - my application had not even made it to shortlisting!
    Interestingly the school where I got the job loved the approach.
    I know this doesn't really help the OP but it does illustrate that different schools read this in different ways and can be quite pedantic about their application requirements.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

A perfect example of a school cutting off their own nose to spite their face!
    They got rid of what another school considers an outstanding candidate on a picky reasoin - if they wanted the level playing field, all they had to do was discard the E.S. And I would feel like challenging what yoiu were told. Did the instructions specifically say Send only 2 pages or did it say a 2 page letter and no cv? You complied with that.
    Best of luck!
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Workshops. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    New <u>Job Seminars</u> on Sunday 26 June.
    Probably more in the early autumn ready for the next lot of job ads to come out. Keep an eye out for the dates!

A new <u>Moving into Headship and SLT</u> seminar is on 18 June.
    See the full programme www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.Look forward to seeing you!

6. Hi very interesting but all the more confusing for me!

I am applying to a prestigious grammar school and they only ask for a letter of application, NO statement/personal info section in the application form.

Do I include an exec summary and if so where?

I just feel at the moment, it's a bit risky...with some schools not liking it? how do I know if they will like it? I really feel I can't risk this, I really really want an interview at this school, I feel like I am a very strong candidate for the position if they give me an interview I can further prove this and hopefully get the job!

any advice?

7. I've just realised there is no person spec for the job I'm applying!?

*so confused*

what do I base my exec summary on?