1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo - exec summary - how do I 'prove' personal qualities e.g. warmth??

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by northern_lassie, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Dear Theo, (or anyone else with words of wisdom to offer!)
    After successfully using an executive summary to help me win my last job, I am currently putting one together for a new job application.
    However, this person spec contains a huge section headed 'personal qualities'.
    This includes things like presence, warmth, sense of humour, energy, sensitivity.
    I am really unsure how to word my executive summary to 'prove' that I am all these things. Since they are not tangible things, it is really difficult! Can you offer any words of wisdom please?
    Also, a second question, in a similar vein... I am also applying for another job, where there is no person spec at all, and the job description is of a very 'legal' nature, ie 'to teach the subject in line with the conditions provided in the burgundy book and carry out other duties as required by the headteacher.' I am completely stumped as to how to write an executive summary for this, or even a decent application tailored to the job, since they give no indication of what they are looking for in a member of staff! What do you advise in this situation?
    Thanks in advance to Theo, or anyone else who has useful suggestions.

2. Dear Theo, (or anyone else with words of wisdom to offer!)
    After successfully using an executive summary to help me win my last job, I am currently putting one together for a new job application.
    However, this person spec contains a huge section headed 'personal qualities'.
    This includes things like presence, warmth, sense of humour, energy, sensitivity.
    I am really unsure how to word my executive summary to 'prove' that I am all these things. Since they are not tangible things, it is really difficult! Can you offer any words of wisdom please?
    Also, a second question, in a similar vein... I am also applying for another job, where there is no person spec at all, and the job description is of a very 'legal' nature, ie 'to teach the subject in line with the conditions provided in the burgundy book and carry out other duties as required by the headteacher.' I am completely stumped as to how to write an executive summary for this, or even a decent application tailored to the job, since they give no indication of what they are looking for in a member of staff! What do you advise in this situation?
    Thanks in advance to Theo, or anyone else who has useful suggestions.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hurray!
    You can't, so don't try. Just don't put them in. In particular, do not try to provide evidence for the daft Sense of humour that some schools have on their person spec.
    Dead simple.
    You get the person spec from a similar job elsewhere. Masses here on the website. You then do it from that, with the first column not saying Your requirements but instead An effective Teacher of History or whatever the job is.
    Sorted!
    Best wishes

4. Hi Theo,
    Thanks so much for that advice, it is a relief!
    I was actually starting to wonder if I could name situations in which I had been 'funny'.
    Interestingly, every single job-spec I have looked at in the last 2 weeks (about 20!) has included the daft 'sense of humour' requirement! And I do have a friend who was asked to tell a joke at interview to prove this!
    But then I once got asked in interview "if you were reincarnated, what animal would you be and why?" Not sure what insight they were hoping to gain from that answer!
    Thanks again for your wise words.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, and the "If you were a car, what car would you be?" or "If you were a biscuit, which one would you be?"
    Crackers, that's what I'd be if I asked questions like that!
    Best wishes

6. I was thinking the same thing earlier! Thank you.