1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo; ex Army officer teaching career opitions

Discussion in 'Independent' started by andersonmatthew85, Feb 28, 2012.

1. I am currently a serving officer in the British Army, but am due to leave in August of this year and am strongly considering a career in teaching. I have an academic background and a degree in History and Politics, and despite having been commissioned into the army for 4 year am still only 26.
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">I have been doing quite a bit of research and have come to what I assume will be my major decision; do I take a unpaid year and complete a PGCE, something I cannot really afford to do, or do I attempt to work in an independent school as a non qualified teacher, relying on my military experience, leadership/ management skills and general life experience to get my foot in the door? I assume there are a number of considerations for being a non qualified teacher even in a private school? I know that independent schools take non qualified teachers; is this regular thing, would I be shoot myself in the foot, espically considering my aspiration for managerial positions in the long term, and should I just bite the bullet and complete a PGCE?</font> <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Can you offer any advice? I also looked at the GTP scheme which seemed interesting but appears largely tailor to the state sector? I also looked into Troops to Teachers but the TDA website is not very forthcoming at all. Vague I know, but any advice to point me in the right direction would be great. Finally I return from Afghanistan in March of this year and would, despite the fact timings are tight, hope to start my career in teaching (whatever form that ends up taking) in the next academic year in Sep so I am cutting things a little fine.</font> M<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">att</font>

2. I am currently a serving officer in the British Army, but am due to leave in August of this year and am strongly considering a career in teaching. I have an academic background and a degree in History and Politics, and despite having been commissioned into the army for 4 year am still only 26.
    <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">I have been doing quite a bit of research and have come to what I assume will be my major decision; do I take a unpaid year and complete a PGCE, something I cannot really afford to do, or do I attempt to work in an independent school as a non qualified teacher, relying on my military experience, leadership/ management skills and general life experience to get my foot in the door? I assume there are a number of considerations for being a non qualified teacher even in a private school? I know that independent schools take non qualified teachers; is this regular thing, would I be shoot myself in the foot, espically considering my aspiration for managerial positions in the long term, and should I just bite the bullet and complete a PGCE?</font> <font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Can you offer any advice? I also looked at the GTP scheme which seemed interesting but appears largely tailor to the state sector? I also looked into Troops to Teachers but the TDA website is not very forthcoming at all. Vague I know, but any advice to point me in the right direction would be great. Finally I return from Afghanistan in March of this year and would, despite the fact timings are tight, hope to start my career in teaching (whatever form that ends up taking) in the next academic year in Sep so I am cutting things a little fine.</font> M<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">att</font>

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Excellent advice as always from Florian.
    I would add: GTP places have been cut quite a lot - so if you're interested, get applying soon.
    PGCE ditto: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/pgce_how_to_apply.htm
    Here is an interesting article about non-qualified teachers in Indy schools:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/article.aspx?storycode=6035664
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com