1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al,

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by pumpkinpilot, May 4, 2012.

1. Dear Theo et al,
    I have just returned home for an interview at my perfect school. I gave an excellent observed lesson and a pretty good interview. There were quite a few jobs and not many shortlisted candidates.
    At the end of the day the head asked to see me and then informed me that one of my references was particularly bad even stating that they would not hire me.
    I feel really upset for a number of reasons. Firstly I was stupid enough to include a reference from my last placement school where I had not got on well with my PST who is extremely close to the head teacher when I had other glowing references from supply teaching I could choose from. At the end of the placement I specifically spoke to the head about references and he said that I had stuck it out my PST was a "hard task mater" and he would provide me with a good reference.
    This explains why my feedback for my last interview was so frosty. They sent most of the candidates home at lunch and I made it to interview but the head seemed really off with me.
    I feel both really low about this I really think I would have got the job. The Head was very professional and beyond that lovely about it which in a way makes me feel worse as it makes me want to work at the school more. She said I was still in the running but I know this is a major black mark against me.
    Apologies for the diatribe but I really feel frustrated after finally finding a school I could see myself working in and getting so close! :(

2. Dear Theo et al,
    I have just returned home for an interview at my perfect school. I gave an excellent observed lesson and a pretty good interview. There were quite a few jobs and not many shortlisted candidates.
    At the end of the day the head asked to see me and then informed me that one of my references was particularly bad even stating that they would not hire me.
    I feel really upset for a number of reasons. Firstly I was stupid enough to include a reference from my last placement school where I had not got on well with my PST who is extremely close to the head teacher when I had other glowing references from supply teaching I could choose from. At the end of the placement I specifically spoke to the head about references and he said that I had stuck it out my PST was a "hard task mater" and he would provide me with a good reference.
    This explains why my feedback for my last interview was so frosty. They sent most of the candidates home at lunch and I made it to interview but the head seemed really off with me.
    I feel both really low about this I really think I would have got the job. The Head was very professional and beyond that lovely about it which in a way makes me feel worse as it makes me want to work at the school more. She said I was still in the running but I know this is a major black mark against me.
    Apologies for the diatribe but I really feel frustrated after finally finding a school I could see myself working in and getting so close! :(

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Gosh, I can understand entirely how you feel. Awful, really awful.
    It isn't over yet, you still might get it.
    The one thing that you can feel good about (slender straw to clutch here) is that clearly you have done very well indeed today, as otherwise the Head wouldn't have bothered telling you all this.
    The other good thing (I am trying, I am trying . . .) is that at least you know about it, and need not use that referee again.
    People may post to tell you (a) to demand a copy of the reference or (b) to get your union onto the case. Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle of doing either.
    Best wishes

4. Thank you for your kind words Theo. I feel better after having a moan. There was a slight silver lining as bizarrely my PST from University was in the building visiting some students and not only said that she would be my referee but explained that the placement had treated me poorly.
    I am getting interviews at a really healthy rate so... onwards and upwards.
    Thanks again. It is amazing how just hearing some kind words from someone who knows what it would feel like makes me feel better.
    Still anxious about the inevitable "feedback" phonecall due any moment though. The worst thing is the longer you wait for them the less likely they are to be good news.

5. I have also contacted both schools for which I have other applications outstanding with updated reference details.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

That was good thinking there!
    Best wishes

7. Well the phonecall came.
    The head said that my application was impeccable "the first she shortlisted" and she would hold it up as a model application, My teaching was very strong and interview was fine but they had a very strong field (which they did).
    She encouraged me to apply for more jobs at the school coming soon so thats very positive.
    It seems like you were right Theo as she also said that she would not of told me about my bad reference if my interview and lesson were average but only did so because she thought I would be a brilliant teacher.
    I could be wrong but I still think that it was probably the reference because it is very hard to not let something like that enter in to a decision if even marginally.
    Does anyone know who on the interview panel generally reads the references?

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lots of positives there, especially:
    So I don't actually think that the reference made a difference in the end. you were just slightly outranked.
    Could be anyone! Every school will do things in their own way.
    And so she will shortlist you next time! Well done for that model application.
    Best wishes

9. The head has probably tipped you off about this to give you an opportunity to do something about it. Let's face it, head know other heads and they are often aware of things that go on in other schools. I think it is great you have taken a prgmatic approach to this (and been given the opportunity to do so) and updated your reference details for outstanding jobs and in the future.
    Good luck - hopefully we will have a 'Got the job' post from you soon :)

10. Thanks Bobby.
    I feel much more pragmatic today than yesterday. There was some really positive stuff to come out of yesterday which almost certainly over shadows the bad.
    It was just such a shock to know someone would try and sabotage my interview process knowing that I am a hard worker with a young family.
    I think the head saw that what was on that one reference did not stack up with my persona, teaching ability and other reference from an outstanding school. The head really was a lovely professional woman.
    I did do something which was slightly dubious and that was to call the head up and ask for a copy of the reference just so he would know that I had found out about the poor reference. It was a very short phone call. Part of me would love to get a copy of the reference to provide to my union as I am sure it includes inaccuracy's but this will not provide me with the job I want and may come back to haunt me.