1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al. - What happens when...

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by patchi, Feb 15, 2012.

1. You know a person at a school you are applying for a post at?
    I have recently completed a form which even with the addition documents, did not state whom, how or where to send the application too so I went to the school's website and access the staff list available. As I scrolled down, I recognised a <u>very</u> familiar name. A friend of mine who I keep in regular contact with, especially as we are both NQT's looking for that NQT post since we finished our PGCE course the previous summer and keep each other informed about what is happening etc ad they currently are working as a TA in the school.
    Your probably thinking - It's just someone off your PGCE. This person and I also happened to go to the same secondary and plus 16 education setting and therefore had a number of classes together over the years, so imagine the shock on the first day of the PGCE course when we found ourselves in the same room!!
    Now that I know this, I'm going to have to declare this on the school form but I was wondering if this would affect me in anyway? As the positions are in the same department my friend is a TA in, is it a possibility that they would be on the interview panel? Or, because of this, when it came to my interview (If i got one), would someone take their place?
    If I got an interview and had an activity to do, they would I assume be also present butmay not be involved in the interview process??
    Any information is appreciated!! Form printed and ready to go, just need to re-print the page where I originally putting "n/a" for not knowing anyone at the school!

2. You know a person at a school you are applying for a post at?
    I have recently completed a form which even with the addition documents, did not state whom, how or where to send the application too so I went to the school's website and access the staff list available. As I scrolled down, I recognised a <u>very</u> familiar name. A friend of mine who I keep in regular contact with, especially as we are both NQT's looking for that NQT post since we finished our PGCE course the previous summer and keep each other informed about what is happening etc ad they currently are working as a TA in the school.
    Your probably thinking - It's just someone off your PGCE. This person and I also happened to go to the same secondary and plus 16 education setting and therefore had a number of classes together over the years, so imagine the shock on the first day of the PGCE course when we found ourselves in the same room!!
    Now that I know this, I'm going to have to declare this on the school form but I was wondering if this would affect me in anyway? As the positions are in the same department my friend is a TA in, is it a possibility that they would be on the interview panel? Or, because of this, when it came to my interview (If i got one), would someone take their place?
    If I got an interview and had an activity to do, they would I assume be also present butmay not be involved in the interview process??
    Any information is appreciated!! Form printed and ready to go, just need to re-print the page where I originally putting "n/a" for not knowing anyone at the school!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

patchi, a TA on the interview panel?
    Usually it just a 'standard question at some schools to ask if you know anyone at the school, so i wouldn't worry unduly. (They might casually ask their opinion of you as you declared it, but will probably have no decideing factor in whether you are selected or not. (It's actually a pity you checked the website or your original N?A could have stood!)

4. You need to declare it, yes. The school then has a responsibilty to ensure this person is not involved in your interview process at all. However, I doubt this would be too much of a hardship as they're a TA, who are not usually involved in interviews.
    It should have no bearing on your application whatsoever. I know people who've applied for jobs where family members are part of SLT- has no bearing except that the family member cannot be involved in the application process- again, school's responsibility, not yours.

5. Strange I know, but I have had it happen in a number of interviews, hence the asking! As it is a large nursery setting, it has many staff,
    Confidentiality will probably prevent those who do decide shortlisting et al, from telling my friend the reasons for being shortlisted, or not. Just awkward and still reeling from seeing the name there. Small world!!
    Thank you very much. :D

I know - If only the information I needed was in the application pack. I looked everywhere and it had everything except who to send it too and where (School has various buildings of different names). Ah well.

6. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

I personally wouldn't bother; I applied to a school my friend worked at and didn't declare it. She wasn't in the department, wouldn't have been on the interview panel and I didn't see it as relevant. I think it is just to avoid scenarios such as "actually my girlfriend is the deputy head!"

7. I think it's in my best interests to declare. We went to the same high school/sixth form, with the same start and end dates and a number of qualifications in common, the same goes for the PGCE course as well as a previous work placement. It would be very hard to say we didn't know each other with all this common.
    If I hadn't checked the staff list to find vital information, I wouldn't have known in the first place but now I do and will declare it. I was just more concerned with what would happen if I got shortlisted and their involvement (or lack there of).

8. anon8315

Do they actually explicitly ask "are you familiar with any of our current employees" or words to that effect?
    They normally only want to know if you know any governors or similar! Have just remembered - when I applied to the second school I worked at, it was the school my Dad had been HT of NQT. He wasn't working there then but I knew loads of staff. I didn't mention anything then and I don't remember it being an issue, as well as the HOD being my best friend's mum! Teaching is a really small world and you definitely won't be the first to have this sort of thing but I don't remember it ever being asked on any app. forms I've filled out?
    Obviously if they ask specifically say - but I can't imagine them being all that interested and if they don't ask it might look a bit funny - as if you're trying to hint you "know people" (I know that's not what you're doing at all but it could come across that way!) x

9. anon8315

Whoops - sorry! Does it definitely say about ay staff or is it just governors/senior staff? I'd check that first but honestly, don't stress about it at all x

10. Yes it does, which is a first.
    Normally, it is Governors or people on the local council which is why it had thrown me.

Thank you everyone! :D

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

You have had a whole host of responses, very helpful, and have come to the conclusion:
    a) yes you must declare
    b) no, it will not impact on your application in any way, except that they will ensure that your friend is not the allocated TA for your observed lesson.
    Best of luck with the application.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th, and also the Moving into Headship or SLT seminar on Saturday 17th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com
    www.tesweekendworkshop90.eventbrite.com