1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al! Two interviews!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by katykatykins, May 7, 2012.

  1. I'm in a bit of a pickle! I've read the advice in the welcome and interview threads but needed clarification.

    I've been asked to interview on Friday at my dream job, the job is permanent and in a school I really like the look of. A second school, with a temporary 1 year post, has asked me to go in on wed for 45 minutes to teach as part of their selection process. I don't know the rest of the interview process for the second job, but my guess is that interviews would follow on the thursday or friday.

    If I was to be offered the second job where it is only a one year contract, before the interview for the permanent position at the first school, are my only options a) accept the temporary job and withdraw from the permanent one, and b) decline the temporary one and keep fingers crossed for the permanent one?

    The schools are in different counties and I just wondered if the fact that one is a fixed term contract made any difference to the matter?

    Thanks Theo et al!
     
  2. I'm in a bit of a pickle! I've read the advice in the welcome and interview threads but needed clarification.

    I've been asked to interview on Friday at my dream job, the job is permanent and in a school I really like the look of. A second school, with a temporary 1 year post, has asked me to go in on wed for 45 minutes to teach as part of their selection process. I don't know the rest of the interview process for the second job, but my guess is that interviews would follow on the thursday or friday.

    If I was to be offered the second job where it is only a one year contract, before the interview for the permanent position at the first school, are my only options a) accept the temporary job and withdraw from the permanent one, and b) decline the temporary one and keep fingers crossed for the permanent one?

    The schools are in different counties and I just wondered if the fact that one is a fixed term contract made any difference to the matter?

    Thanks Theo et al!
     
  3. tigger82

    tigger82 New commenter

    Not Theo but perhaps I can help...
    So if I have picked this up right you have an lesson observation on Weds for a fixed term contract and an interview on Friday for a permanent job. You are unsure what and when the rest of the selection process is for the temp job?
    I would suggest you contact the school you are doing the lesson observation at on Weds and ask them what will happen. You could explain that you have an interview booked for the Friday and wanted to be sure they didn't clash (Theo - is that right?).
    At this point you have nothing to lose by attending both but you are correct - you cannot accept one and then continue with the application for the other. It may not even come down to a decision as the interview for the Weds job may not be before the Friday interview.
    In short. Just ask Weds school what they are planning and then you can prepare for the possible outcomes.
    Hope that helps x
    Oh and a huge well done on getting two interviews!
     
  4. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Yes indeed, a Huge Well Done there!
    Yes, you have got the basic idea quite right; those are your two options.
    Quite a good suggestion there from Tigger, but the only thing is . . . that it might encourage the 1st job to bring forward their interview! If they were very keen to secure you, they might have been planning to see people for teaching Wed-Fri, interviews on Monday, but you saying that might make them re-schedule.
    So an alternative would be just to hang on (I know that waiting and not knowing will just KILL you, but you'll have to), and see what happens.
    Then IF the interview is before the other one, and IF you get offered the job, you could ask for 24 hours to consider it. They might be willing to give you that much leeway.
    Best wishes
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT or Headship seminar on Saturday 19 May.
     
  5. Thank you :) I've emailed the school to ask what the interview process looks like after the observations but I haven't mentioned my other interview. I'm hoping they will come back and say they aren't interviewing till next week.
    It's strange thinking about ifs and buts but the second job (the permanent one) is the most perfect job for me so my brains ticking over time and what could happen this week! I've been applying for jobs this time of year for the past 3 years - I've always managed to only get maternity covers so I'm quite shocked that there's 2 possibilites for longer term jobs in one week!
    Fingers crossed!!
    K [​IMG]
     
  6. The 1st school (with the fixed term contract and observation on Wednesday) just emailed to say their interviews are on Friday - same as the 2nd school (with the permanent post). I've emailed back to explain that I am already committed to an interview that day but following me receiving more information from the 2nd school about timings etc, could we negotiate a time around the 2nd school for my interview at the 1st.
    I have waited so long to be offered an interview and it's so typical that I get offered 2 for the same day!!
     
  7. tigger82

    tigger82 New commenter

    Oh no! The nightmare situation.
    Only you can decide how to proceed now...
     
  8. Thankfully the 1st school has emailed me back to say they are willing to negotiate around the 2nd schools timings for interviews on Friday providing I plan and teach an outstanding lesson for them to observe on Wednesday.
     
  9. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    Superb!
    Now, about hearing of the result . . . What if you get the offer from non-favourite school first? What are you going to do?
    If you were very well organised, you could give a different phone number to each school, and decide not to answer the phone from choice 2 until you had waited a bit longer for choice 1 to ring and offer . . .
    Best wishes.
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT or Headship seminar on Saturday 19 May.
     
  10. tigger82

    tigger82 New commenter

    Theo! You are just full of great ideas...
    I'd never have though of that!
     
  11. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter

    [​IMG]
    Best wishes.
    _______________________________________
    TheoGriff. Member of the TES Careers Advice Service.
    For the full TES Weekend Workshop programme please visit www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars or contact advice@tes.co.uk for one-to-one sessions.
    I shall be contributing to the Moving into SLT or Headship seminar on Saturday 19 May.
     
  12. Ooh thanks for the tip Theo! That could work [​IMG]
    Please keep your fingers crossed though that school number 2 calls first!
    Now to get myself prepared - as of yet I only have the 1st school's lesson to plan for but obviously interview questions for both so I've printed off the list in the interview thread and I've been making notes. And I'm meeting a former colleague to do some interview prep tomorrow. Oh and still writing letters of application in case school 1 and 2 both say no!!
     

Share This Page