1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al - That's it then

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by supply slave, Jun 19, 2012.

1. After three and a half years of trying to get a permanent job I have finally reached the end of the road. I gave myself until the current round of vacancies to get a job but to no avail.
    I can't apply for any beyond this Friday closing date as I go away on 30 June (Thanks ASDA) and don't return until 7 July. This means is I won't be available for interview during these dates.
    Thanks to everyone for your support during my difficult times (too many to mention individually) but the time has come to set sail in a different direction.
    Eggs now firmly placed in LCC basket or it's ASDA forever (Yuk).
    Thanks again
    SS

2. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Did Man City give up on the title race at 90 minutes in their last game?

I wouldnt give up until the last day of term. My last two teaching posts I secured (albeit temporary) were both in July!!!!!!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Well let's trust that any potential interviews occur <u>outside</u> these dates.
    As someone has said there might be an odd post or two advertised, so you never know? (By the way what's LCC?) Maybe in a year ot two they might be fighting over you!
    Meanwhile her's a cheer you up bouquet
    [​IMG]
    Best wishes for whatever you do!

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

One of the best teachers I know was an unemployed NQT trying to start her induction year, and was appointed by me in the third week of August for September.
    DO NOT GIVE UP YET !
    Best wishes

5. Thanks for all your positive comments but after 2 interviews from 74 applications I think I can really smell the coffee. It is time to look beyond teaching which is a real pity as I so enjoyed teaching (especially yrs 11,12,13; yr7 had great time, yr8 arrrgh: yr9 OMG the stench of linx/perfume).
    I am prepared for life at ASDA but maybe LCC will give me a break/
    Lara it's Lancashire County Council.
    Oh and spotted a very different (or maybe not) career opportunity in the local paper last night.
    Probation service anyone?

6. I can imagine it's hard mate, but the only thing I will say is don't give up.

Have you tried doing supply work? Up until last Christmas I was in the same situation as you, I couldn't get a single interview and nothing seemed to work. Then all of a sudden there was supply work for me. Yes I had to travel a little bit and yes I had to teach subjects and year groups out of my comfort zone, but it's all experience and every single day counts.

I've now got an interview on Wednesday which I am (cautiously) optimistic about.

I sincerely hope you do find something soon, as well as finding something myself. Follow your dreams mate ;)

7. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

2 interviews? I've had NINE and have certainly NOT given up!!!!

8. Hello
    Well I dont post a lot on here, but I do read a lot of posts and Supply Slave, you are in a similar predicament to me
    Graduated 09 - still havent got a job, and as many know on here I am now past my 35 interview!
    I have 1 term NQT and ofsted' Outstanding as well (yes I know NQT are not supposed to be observed, but I wish I could tell the story WHY I was on here, if anyone finds themself in Bizarre situations its me!)
    I made the "right thats it" decision too, even after I came back for a last attempt a few weeks back, I was absolutely gutted - it truly is demoralising, especially as people you have trained with are now HOD or worse Starting Assistant head next term and you are still an unemployed NQT - nothing more depressing except Mr Gove doing his best to find something more!
    But you know what, I stood in front of that class at the interview a couple of weeks ago and I KNEW that even though I said thats it, I will carry on even if its an off chance now and again!
    I cant get through the interviews, its frustrating,(dont mention the masterclasses, I simply cant make it, I am that broke) but I know get me into the classroom and I am bloody good and that is what makes me keep on going!
    So what I am long windedly trying to say, is that even though you have made the declaration - I bet you keep popping back and scanning the jobs page, because you are a teacher and noone can take that away from you!
    As for job interviews, I had one on the last day of term last year, So they do come up!
    Lampost

9. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

The thing is, you can do other things as well as applying for teaching posts. It doesn't have to be either/or. I do appreciate it's difficult if you've been out of the classroom for a while though.
    Lampost, I do understand - last year I had 13 interviews which was horrific enough, I can't imagine how i'd feel after 35. With me it was just classic "pipped at the post-itis" - in my case, I would be shortlisted and then I would often teach the lesson and make the first round of cuts but then it would go to someone who was an existing HOD or had middle management experience.
    I got a job eventually and it wasn't really "me" to be honest but it did give me the necessary experience to apply elsewhere and I got that one, in a lovely school I loved, first time. That did so much to boost my self-esteem and now I love my job, I even have a new house and whole new life. Things are good and honestly this time last year I was as low as it was possible to be.
    Oh - and my middle management job I landed last year? Got it on July 8th. [​IMG] I'd had three months where I'd been miserable, anxious and upset but it was all OK in the end and I'm sure it will be for you as well - one way or the other, in teaching or not in teaching.
    Good luck with it all x

10. Curae

Curae Star commenter

No don't give up !. You don't sound happy which of course I understand
    I too have been very unlucky and I WILL NOT GIVE UP. I sometimes think I have everything against me but like me you must have hope and believe in yourself.
    We will support you on this forum.
    I wish you the very best in your search. It will happen and you will find that dream job, it will happen.
    God bless you.
    Much love
    cris

11. welshchocoholic1

welshchocoholic1 Senior commenter

Took me A LOT longer than that, but I have EVENTUALLY got a job[​IMG]. Keep going!
    Last year I had 6 interviews - they were ALL after the 7t of July. I think one my have even been in the last week of term. I didn't get it - but someone did! I did used to give up each year, but then I would start again. Don't give up for this year just yet!
    Ooh [​IMG]!