1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al ... strategic vision

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by totallyflipped, Apr 16, 2011.

1. I have a DH interview in a few weeks and feel that one area/question I am not so confident about is Strategic Vision.
    Any advice from SMT members? Does it just relate to the School development plan? Is there a book or report or something that might help me?
    How might this question manifest itself in interview?
    I had an interview last year and was totally unprepared for a question on a vision for a 21st Century School. Waffled like a muppet and was unsuccesful.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    TF

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh dear - I am at a bit of a loss here.
    It´s hard to teach someone to have vision, and No, I don´t think that there are any books on it.
    How do you see the school in 5 years´ time? What will the current intake of pupils need to know, what skills will they need to have, when they leave you, how do you provide all this? This is what you should be thinking about.
    You really need to sit down and work out your ideas for the future of the school, that´s what they are looking for.
    On the seminar for people moving into SLT and Headship, both I and the other presenters emphasise how important it is to show your vision, in the application and in the interview, so you are right to highlight this as an area for your own development.
    But it has to be your own development, we cannot give it to you, I'm afraid.
    Best wishes for that interview - you must be pleased to have been shortlisted!
    By popular demand! In response to Tessers e-mailing in: another Job Seminar now on Saturday 14th May:
    www.tesweekendworkshop25.eventbrite.com
    The next Moving onto Leadship seminar is Sunday 15th May.
    http://tesweekendworkshop24.eventbrite.com/
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

3. Thanks Theo. will get my thinking cap on.