1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al: School visits

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by anon3946, Nov 30, 2011.

1. I have a couple lined up.
    My main question is do I have to hand in my application there and then? Or will I be permitted to go away and tweak my application accordingly, should I learn anything new about the school that I think I need to address? (Both fall about a week, if not more, before the advertised deadline.)

Any other tips will be gratefully received! I have looked carefully at the job description, the website, Ofsted reports, will be going in interview attire, will be professional and ask relevant questions, will not wear shoes that may cause an injury and have let my placement school and university know (and set cover where needed), scrubbed my nails and behind my ears and made sure my car is up to the journey! Anything beyond this that I need to know/do?

I have been told that it's HIGHLY unlikely that I'll get the job at this stage but if nothing else, I hope to get some feedback and practise. Shoot for the moon and if you miss, etc...

2. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

No, you don't have to submit your application right there - I'd advise you not to tbh. You can take it away then put in your application what you noticed at the school that you liked etc. Also, be aware there may be 20+ of you there so the head may not even know who you are by name, if it's even the head showing you round.
    Well done for starting applying so early. I would say just apply for EVERYTHING at the moment, even if it's not quite the year group you want etc. The job market is really tough.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

WElcome to our Forum, Ali.
    Excellent idea to start job hunting soon, and also good to go to school visits if you can.
    Just don't be too pushy . . . there are some candidates who try try try to get themsleves noticed, and they just look bad.
    Do a search on here for "visits questions" and you'll get more tips.
    For advice on writing your application, read the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread. For advice on how to set about the job seeking, read this thread: Dear Theo ''application form horror!!''
    And dress professionally, leave off the thick make-up, do not wear perfume or jangly jewellery.
    Not even if you're a man. [​IMG]
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars

4. Thank you all :)
    First visit done today- I liked the school, have done a little research into the area (as it would involve relocating IF I got it (though the chap in with me is, of course, vastly more experienced than I am, and although I'm not the quiet type, I was certainly far meeker and I doubt I made terribly much of an impact)) and am now trying to cut my blasted statement to 2 sides of A4 and include a few details I noted today.
    Second one on Monday, at a school which is linked to my uni (and so I may already be at a disadvantage as it's not one I've personally had any links to, whilst a few of my cohort have and I'm in little doubt that they're all incredible teachers- but it's good experience all the same) and has been recommended to me by a supervising teacher.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hope you're doing an executive summary too . . .
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.

6. I have not been provided with a list of requirements/person spec/similar. Is it possible to do without?

For the other one, yes, I am, as well as being daunted with the longest apllication form I've seen since I decided Oxbridge wasn't for me! :p

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes, just get a similar job spec, and instead of saying "Your requirements" in LH column, write "A KS" teacher has . . ." or something similar.
    Best wishes here!