1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Dear Theo et al - not applying to move up pay scale to help job search ?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lauz106, Aug 22, 2015.

1. lauz106

lauz106 New commenter

Hi Theo and everyone.

I'm an MFL teacher who has just completed my 4th year of teaching, and my 4th year at my current school. I'm looking to move to a different school, but am not looking for promotion (I just enjoy classroom teaching really). I would like a January 2016 start if I can get one.

Since last year we have to apply each year, around October time, if we want to move up the academy's pay scale. I'm not sure whether to do this this autumn as I feel like I'm getting too expensive for a classroom teacher to be attractive to other schools. I have exceeded my GCSE targets and had outstanding observations last year so I'm pretty sure I would move up if I applied. I don't mind staying at the pay rate I'm on if it means I might be more successful with applications. However, obviously I might not get another job and then I would be earning relatively less than other teachers at my school. Also it might look on my application form that I haven't moved up due to poor performance, even if I have chosen not to.

I did make a few applications last year and got invited to interview for most of them. I guess this shows the schools were willing to consider semi-experienced teachers. On the other hand, of the 2 interviews I went to I know that at least one took on an NQT. Now that I will be a 5th year teacher the pay difference would be even more significant.

Hope this makes sense, thanks for your help!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes but . . .

Hullo there Lauz. Or Bonjour, Buenas tardes or whatever!

Well done on getting those interviews. You can maximise your chances of getting interviews - or getting appointed - by reading and following the advice in my blog articles.

!How to use the Jobseekers & Careers advice blog articles - Updated Summer 2015

Your school has a pay policy that links progression to performance. So you understand that advancement up the scale - any scale a school may have - is not automatic. What you may not have realised is that there is now no Pay portability. This means that a new school is not obliged to honour your current pay level when you move schools.

No more Pay Portability, no more pay scale, no more automatic moving up the scale.

So my advice is: get your payrise if you deserve it. Apply using my advice. Be prepared to negotiate your salary if you are offered a job.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Like Theo says, I see no reason not to apply for a pay rise. It would be futile as if would have little bearing on any new job.

1) a new school does not need to honour it. Did you know this? If not, why?

2) the difference between pay points is not massive anyway.

On another note, you have lost out to NQTs. It may be that they are top candidates. They probably are. Are you selling your advantage though? You may not want progression, but if you don't offer any advantage other than a bit more experience, a school may not see you as worth it.

4. lauz106

lauz106 New commenter

Ok thanks both for your advice. Yes I did know about the not needing to honour current pay thing, if anything it's the schools I've been interviewed at that didn't (well they probably knew, they just hadn't acted on it). At the one school in a general group Q&A discussion, one of the other candidates asked about pay and the interviewers just looked confused and said something like it was national pay scale, and at the other interview I asked myself at the very end and they also just looked a bit confused. I don't know of any state schools who aren't just pretty much sticking to the old system.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck to you then, Lauz

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

6. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

I don't want to be negative here, please don't take this the wrong way - why do you want to move schools? If you are successful where you are, you aren't looking for promotion and you just want a similar role, then why move? You have to convince an interview panel you have something more to offer otherwise they will just offer the job to an NQT. Also, I would never recommend moving in the middle of the school year - try and stick it out til the end of the year.